Reentry

We sit there anxiously as our passports are checked. The petite lady looks at us and smiles with a funny expression. "If you don't mind me asking where are your bags?"

Crap. I stand there and look at Scott with wide eyes. I have no idea what to even say.

"We don't need much to get by. We brought some things to give out to the less fortunate and we have plenty at home so we don't need to take anything more." I'm shocked at how quickly he came up with a quality lie.

"Ah that's really sweet. Can I ask another question?" This time she looks at me with raised eyebrows. She looks significantly younger than us but she is a very pretty girl. I'm sure she is pursued by many.

"Sure." I say shrugging. I'm worried as to what can follow the bad question but I try to act natural.

"Are you single?" I laugh a bit but Scott's expression is not amused. He kisses my cheek.

"No he's not." She smiles and lets out an awwww.

"Well you guys are cute. You guys are free to go through." Her words rush over me like a cool wave in a desert. It feels so good. Scott and I squeeze each other's hands a little out of excitement but it quickly dies down and melts back into fear.

We go through and try very hard to keep composure.

"Let's go to the bathroom." He says sounding panicked.

"Ok what's wrong?"

"Just wait." The door closes behind us and he just hugs me. He squeezes very tightly and I can tell he's silently crying.

"We made it. We can have a normal life. I can't believe I'm going to have a normal life. Thank you."

"Thank you. It's going to be good. Me and you. We'll be fine. Let's just get home." He lets go and sighs.

"Yes. Let's go." We definitely don't have enough to get a cab all the way back up to Ohio. I have a wonderful mom.

"Let's find a pay phone. We still have some change left right?"

"Yeah." He hands me some change from his pocket and we eventually locate a very dirty payphone. It rings and rings and slightly terrified me. Why isn't she picking up? He puts his hand on my shoulder and gently runs. Just please pick up.

"Hello?"

"Hello who is this?"

"Momma this is James!!!!!"

"Oh my god James?!? Where are you? What happened?"

"Momma I just crossed the Mexican border. I need your help." I tell her where we are and after lots of heavy breathing she continues.

"Aright baby I'm about to get on a flight now. Stay."

"Alright momma." Waiting is awful.

"This is prison. We may be free sitting on a bench in the middle of no where airport but we are in prison. I hate this."

"You are not wrong. All of this anticipation. It's not fair."

"What did you miss most about me?" He looks at me with a funny expression.

"That's what you're thinking about now?"

"I've been curious."

"Well I suppose there's only one real answer to this." He pauses. "Everything about you."

"that does not count. Come on give me a real answer."

"I miss cuddling. You are comfy. It's cold alone."

"That's so sad." I say leaning into him. He really was alone for a long time. Not talking to anyone. Not holding anyone. Not taking care of anyone. No one taking care of him. I love him. I hope he's never sad again.

"It's okay. We're here now."

"Yes." Here and now. We lean into each other and don't say much. Just the feeling of his breathing makes me melt.

I see my mom heading towards me and she picks up speed the closer she gets. The emotions are so overwhelming! It's my mom!!! But whose the guy right behind her? Oh no. No.