4.

Yeh maana keh ankhoon mei ansoon hai.

Dilo may basi bey basi.

Chalo yeh bhi mana ke apno say

behtar hain ajnabi.

It's admitted that there's tears in the eyes,

In hearts stuck hopelessness.

Okay fine it's admitted that better than your own

Are strangers.

Chapter 4

You were always there, in my heart. I was just too vain to realise that.

--

The engagement party was in it's full swing, music echoed across the marquee as Anaaya sat on the stage while Hassan sat beside her.

All their friends, families and relatives were either done with dinner or were leaving already.

Anaaya didn't have many friends, just some close university or school fellows that were invited. A few of them had bothered to come and had left after congratulating her. Ahmad was the only one she had been close to and he hadn't even arrived yet.

His flight from karachi had gotten delayed.

She was dressed in a plain off white Zara Shahjahan dress, for someone who was about to engaged, she was rather dressed simply. But it didn't matter because she liked what she wore.

And Hassan did too.

He was so engrossed in his work that he hadn't even paid attention to the fact that he was getting married

But the past week, realisation had hit him. And today, when he was about to put that ring on her finger, he had realised it completely.

He was getting married.

He would have to adjust his life for someone else. Someone who was leaving her family, her home, her city. All for him.

He didn't understand how time had passed by so quickly and a part of him regretted not talking to Anaaya much but at the same time, he knew she must be feeling the same way.

"This is moving pretty fast, yeah?" Hassan questioned her softly.

She looked at him with her brown eyes and smiled.

"Well, yeah." She replied, playing with the diamond ring.

"That's how arranged marriages work, don't they?" She questioned with a chuckle.

He nodded and stayed silent for a while.

"Did you like your gift?" He asked.

At first, Anaaya thought he was talking about the ring but it struck to her that he was talking about something more meaningful.