o n e

Rosetta

I stood in front of the caskets as they lowered them into the ground. People began lining up to toss a flower onto each casket and walking away. I felt like crying but I refused to cry. I looked around at all the people that were surrounding me.

It's so astounding how you could be around so many people and still feel very lonely.

I hated attending big events with lots of people, especially family members. My family had always been so selective and exclusive of each other. One of the many reasons me and my brother were so close. When it came to big events he would stick with me alongside with Cameron and they would keep me company. They both knew how badly I struggled with social anxiety. Not having them by my side made me feel like I was empty. Like I was missing something.

Members of my family and members of the Dolan family were spread out sporadically. Lots of tears were being shed throughout the sea of people wearing black. Once they began burying the two caskets I took a deep breath for I would be making a small speech about my brother.

I walked up and Lisa nodded as I took another deep breath. I pinched my dress from the sides with my index finger to hide my shaking hands as I walked up. Before I could make it to the front, a cold hand wrapped around my wrist and pulled me back.

"You will not be making your speech" my mom hissed lowly.

"Why not?" I asked quietly.

"You'll just embarrass the families and we will not have that. You are not to say a single word" She spoke in a cold voice.

"But mom he's my brother!"

"No buts, your dad and I will speak a few words and that's final" She spoke sternly before shoving me out of the way. She walked up to the front with my dad and spoke a few words. They were all empty words with absolutely no meaning.

I stood with my head looking down not wanting to make eye contact with anyone and see their faces giving me pity looks.

When my parents finished Cameron's brothers went up and spoke a few words. I watched in agony as they linked arms with each other as they both took turns speaking.

"My sister was the best and she understood us. Both Cameron and Nathaniel understood Ethan, Rosetta and I" Grayson spoke. 

"They were both the best siblings anyone could ask for. They both were great examples one hopes to follow and achieve. We love them and we will remember them for the greatness they've bestowed upon the world and upon us" Ethan finished as they walked off with tears streaming down their faces.

Once the funeral was over and everyone dispersed I stood in front of my brothers tombstone. Placing a single white rose in front of it I kissed my hand and touched the tombstone with trembling hands.

"I'll always love you and I'll miss you" I whispered.

As I stood up I bumped into someone. I turned around and sighed as I made eye contact with Grayson.

"How you holding up rose?" He asked embracing me in a hug.

"I'll be fine. What about you?" I asked.

"Hanging in there" He sighed.

"Me too" I said relaxing into the hug and wrapping my arms around his torso. As we pulled away a throat being cleared interrupted us.

"Why didn't you say your speech?" Ethan asked visibly upset.

"I'm sorry Ethan, my mom-"

"We did our speech for both your brother and Cameron the least you could've done was stick to the agenda. For crying out loud my sister is in the ground! Couldn't you have followed rules just once?" He frowned.