Five

I slowly open my eyes as I feel something heavy pressing onto my chest. The first thing I see is a beautiful girl sleeping peacefully next to me, her head using my chest as her pillow. Her arm locking me into a sweet embrace, her soft thighs resting on top of mine.

I breathe a sigh of relief as it finally registered to me that it's Jia. Vivid images of last night flashing in my mind, making my head pound. I drank too much last night that I turned out in no state to drive home, I remember Jia taking care of everyone before tending to me.

I close my eyes as I run my hand through Jia's long silky hair, not knowing what to do to make it up to her. I opened my eyes to look at Jia's beautiful face, she looks so serene sleeping beside me and I can't help but feel a little admiration to her. Jia is the ideal person one could wish for - she's sweet, caring, and undeniably kind.

I slowly and gently put her head on to the pillow, as I thought of making breakfast for her. It's the least I could do for her since I troubled her so much last night. She even drove me late last night here sa bahay so all I could do is to properly thank her and make her a good breakfast to start her day right.

Iniwan ko sya sa kwarto kong natutulog, making my way towards the kitchen to whip up something.

"Wow, you're early." Mom smiles as she greets me. "Good morning, Beatriz."

"Good morning, Mom." I smile as I greet her back. Starting to mix the pancake batter. "Just sit back for today, Mom. I'll handle the cooking for now."

"Did something happened, honey?" She asks gently. When I didn't answer, she presses on the topic. "You were so drunk last night na kailangan ka pang ihatid dito ni Jia. She wanted to go back sa dorm but I stopped her na since she looks tired na rin. I just offered to sleep beside you na lang para she would feel at ease spending her first night here."

"Thank you, Mom." I say. "And yes, something did happen that made me act rashly last night but I'm doing okay now so far.."

I pushed any thoughts about Maddie, not wanting to think about her now. I was thinking about what ate Ly told me yesterday that I shouldn't have jump to conclusions quickly and I should just talk to Maddie about it.

It's Maddie we're talking about here. Yung babaeng mahal na mahal ko at mahal na mahal din ako. Yung babaeng pinili ako over everyone. Yung babaeng nanatili sa tabi ko despite being isolated by her friends.

"I'm always here if you want someone to talk to, okay?" Mom offers me a warm smile, yung bang isang ngiti lang pero damang-dama ko yung love nya para sakin.

"Thanks, Mom." I kiss my Mom on her cheeks, making her smile.

"Ako na kaya mag-tuloy nito, Beatriz? You need a shower! You still reek of alcohol!" She laughs as she cringes.

"I won't deny it naman, Mom." I laugh. "Anyway, tapos naman na yung pancakes. Yung Bacon na lang and eggs."

"I'll make fried rice na rin. Your kuya prefers rice over bread eh." She says as she grabs the spatula on my hand. "Go shower already para pagkatapos mo, kakain na tayo. Tignan mo rin si Jia baka gising na."

"Yes, Mom."

I chuckle as I make my way towards my bedroom. Tulog pa naman si Jia so walang ingay akong pumunta sa bathroom para maligo. After twenty minutes, I tiptoed towards my walk in closet and doon na lang nagbihis. I was combing my hair when I walk out of my closet to wake Jia na rin since gusto ng family ko na sabay kaming mag-breakfast.

"Ji, wake up na." I say as I sit beside her, my hand cupping her face.

"Cold," she murmurs cutely making me gush inwardly how adorable she is. "I'll sleep for a little bit."

"Good morning, Beautiful." I chuckle, softly pinching Jia's cheeks. "Breakfast na tayo, Ji. Inaantay na nila tayo sa baba."

That must've broken the sleepy spell casted on Jia. She abruptly sits up, her eyes looking so big and comical I burst out laughing at her. She smacks my arm before glaring at me. "This is not funny, Bei! I look horrible pa tapos nag-aantay na pala sila sa baba! Why didn't you wake me up sooner?"

I softly chuckle at her rambling, positioning myself towards her as I brush her hair. "Just go wash your face once I'm done taming your hair."

She glares at me before grabbing the brush from my hand. "My hair is a mess but it isn't like a monster that needs taming."

"Wala naman akong sinabi." I chuckle. "May spare tooth brush ako doon sa loob ng bathroom. May facial wash and kung anu-ano pang necessities."

She sprint towards the bathroom and napa-ngiti naman ako.

After roughly fifteen minutes, she comes out of the bathroom looking so refreshed. "Tara na, Bei."

Pagbaba namin, we saw my family seated at their respective seats. Napa-ngiti naman ako while Jia blushed a deep shade of red. "Good morning po."

"Good morning Jia. You look so refreshingly beautiful today." Ganting bati ni Mom. "I take it you had a good night's sleep?"

"Ay, thank you po tita. Yes po, tita." She smiles shyly.

"Nako, Jia. You don't have to lie. We all know Isabel's sleeping habits. She's so makulit and kept tossing and turning. Mahilig pa mandantay yan." Kuya Loel smirks, looking at Mom. "Dapat kasi sa guest room mo na sya pinatulog, Mom."

"No po. Okay lang talaga po. Knock out naman na talaga po si Bea last night so mahimbing naman po yung tulog ko.

"Oo nga kuya. Ako pa nga yung dinantayan eh." I add, Jia lowkey pinches my side naman na kinatawa ko.

"Sit down beside Beatriz and let's eat na." Dad smiles gently, ushering Jia to the empty seat next to mine.

"Thank you pala for taking care of our daughter last night, Jia. We really appreciate it." Dad says.

"She also takes care of me naman po, tito. In and outside of the court, wala po akong masasabi sakanya. Best friends na po ang turingan namin sa isa't-isa." Jia explains briefly while grinning and I felt my heart swell with pride.

"That's good to hear. Beatriz has always been friendly and blessed with a lot of good friends. Good thing she has you now." Mom says.

"Mom, stop." I chuckle awkwardly. "So kuya, how's business pala?"

Kuya Loel looks at me knowingly before answering my question naman. I smirk as I successfully averted the topic and just let them talk about it. Inaasikaso ko rin kasi si Jia who looks grateful naman.

After breakfast, I suggest Jia to take a shower na lang sa bathroom sa kwarto ko, then sa adjacent walk in closet na sya mag-bihis. She can take anything she wants naman dun from shirts to dresses. May drawer din ako ng unused undergarments dun. Tutulungan ko pa kasi si Mommy dito sa kitchen eh.

After helping Mom, I made my way towards my room to get my phone and keys na rin. I'll offer to drive Jia back sa dorms nila and maybe deliver pizza for the girls.

"You look good," bati ko kay Jia who was wearing my highschool shirsey.

Nung hindi sya kumibo, I look over sa kung saan sya nakatingin - sa picture frame containing a laughing Maddie while I'm kissing her cheek, and hugging her from behind.

"Ji.." I start, I can always tell Jia the truth since best friend ko naman sya and I trust her. Wala rin naman akong planong magsinungaling eh. "Listen, I-"

"I already know. Matagal ko nang alam, Bei."

* * * * *