eleven

"i would like to say boyfriend but i guess for now best friends will have to do," mark sighed smirking at donghyuck.

donghyuck's cheeks tinged a plum colour as he hid his face with the blankets.

"let's make a game. whoever falls in love first wins something."

"why would i do that?" donghyuck frowned at the idea.

"i will paint your room like the universe and if you lose, you have to go to the holiday house with me and my hyungs."

"i don't know."

"hey, it's just a little game. i promise i won't hurt you in any way." mark patted his head.

his hair was soft and silky and he was already addicted to his touch.

silence greeted him.

"i will buy you five skittle packets just for you."

and that's when donghyuck tore his wall down,

for a few skittles that probably only cost ten dollars.

"you have yourself a deal mr lee."

"be prepared to lose. falling in love with me with be done in a click of a finger."

was this all a game to mark? donghyuck thought.

he shook his feelings reassuring that mark would never do that. at least he hoped.

he had suddenly remembered his mother telling his dad the words that would bother him everyday,

the words that made him insecure,

"promises are made to be broken,"

he regretted the day, his father ever said that,

but he hated the fact that he agreed.

dna he guessed.

his mother died in a car accident that night.

it was quite recent, just a year back.

he wasn't going to let mark control him and his feelings. he wasn't going to fall in love first. he wasn't going to let mark do what his father did to his mother.

because, even though donghyuck had more negative memories of his mother than positive ones, he couldn't deny the fact that she created him.

- - - - - - - - - -  - -  -  -  -

in summer, there are less stars and seem dull in colour because of the warm air. in winter, stars are more visible because cold air doesn't hold that much moisture. it was the prime season for stargazing,

yet donghyuck could only see a handful of stars. he wanted to be like mark who could experience canada's night sky.

he wanted mark to know how lucky he was.

donghyuck couldn't let him win this game. he wanted mark to experience that life wasn't rainbows and happiness.

it wasn't in spite of mark but for mark to experience the world. he wanted the best for mark.

bitterness contributed to the factors of happiness.

life cannot be fulfilled if there were only happy moments. it would be a bore to live in. donghyuck would have killed himself if he had a straight happy average life.

life was meant to be full of twists and turns and unexpected routes people would never expect to take.

mark had only discovered him leaving canada, and him meeting donghyuck.

mark's life was seen to be almost perfect. he was the best student and the best family member. he listened to all his friends and everyone liked him.

to mark, perfection used to be everything but donghyuck didn't care.

he just thought that,

perfection wasn't important, because it didn't exist anyways.

two polar opposites had finally decided to play a game that took them into the next chapter of life.

romance.