Skyward Bound Final

Link's long journey to obtain the Triforce had finally come to an end. I watched him throughout his trials. It was the only thing that kept me going. I wished that I could speak with him but I knew that at that moment, I would be able to.

When I felt his presence, my power gave off considerable amounts of energy. The solid stone doors that had been shut for a thousand years opened with a spring of light. I felt my soul rise up as I began to slowly feel like I was in my body again instead of adrift as a spirit.

As I could feel him drawing closer, in the same room I was in, after all this time . . . the glass encasing me started to crack. I pushed harder, the glow around me becoming brighter. It was like a butterfly emerging from its chrysalis.

With just one more burst of power, the crystal around me shattered into pieces as I gracefully landed on the platform beneath me. I raised my head slowly, feeling light-headed. However, that did not stop me from trying to make my way to him as I stepped down the stairs.

I thought I was doing fine until I reached the bottom. My vision blurred while my head tilted backward. Soon after my legs gave out on me. I blacked out for a good four seconds only to wake to the sound of Link's heartbeat. His arms had kept me from crashing to the floor.

Without lifting my head, I said with a weak laugh, "Good morning . . . Link . . ."

"Good morning," he whispered, allowing us to stay close together for a minute longer.

When that minute was up, he only backed away a little to see my face. I smiled happily at him. Glad that I was seeing his face with my own eyes again. My hand slipped into his. We said nothing as he helped me get to my feet.

Together we walked outside of the room. He looked my way to make sure I was doing alright. I gave him a big smile which he shared. It might have been the happiest I had seen him in a long time, though I suppose, for me, it had been a very, very long time indeed.

As we entered the main room, Link started to explain to me that Groose was there. I simply told him that there was nothing he needed to say. That I had been with him the entire time. He squeezed my hand after hearing that like he somehow felt my presence as I felt his.

Once we were by the Gate of Time, Groose ran to us. He appeared shocked and his loss for words made me laugh as he stammered. Finally, he lifted his arm to his eyes as he covered up his tears.

"I am so sorry that I ever doubted you, Link!" he cried.

Link turned to me and we both started to laugh. It was great to see Groose like this. Despite what he did in the past, he made up for it. That did not stop us from thinking it was wildly funny with such a big change in him.

Suddenly Groose grabbed onto both of Link's shoulders and shook him. "And if you ever need a partner to kick some ugly toe monster ever again, I've got your back! We men need to protect Granny and Zelda. Got it!"

The old woman chuckled as she said, "I'm grateful for the offer, but I'm still stubborn enough to say that I don't need protection."

Groose ran to her, hugging her awkwardly as he tried to apologize. Link and I laughed again at Groose's new behavior. Beforehand he wouldn't be apologizing for anything he said. Then there was the new Groose begging for forgiveness when it was just a joke.

The old woman and Groose finished their conversation, turning back to the two of us. Link and I walked closer to them to join in the reunion. I was just about to slip my hand into his again when a barrier tore the two of us apart. We both slammed down onto the hard floor. And because I had already felt faint, the blow made my vision close in as I heard the laughter of the Demon Lord.