A Father's Wrath

After another failure at the Spring of Courage, I was exhausted. Plus after our discovery at the shrine, I wanted to inform Robbie that it didn't even respond to Link. So we made the journey to the lab. However, Robbie was at the castle. Though I knew what Father had said about coming back, I went anyway.

Staying away from Castle Town Square, we made it into the castle grounds. From there we saw that since we had left, Guardians were up everywhere keeping a lookout. After hearing that Father was gone for the day, I relaxed as we headed up to my room. While my maids ordered me to get into my dress, Link continued the search for Robbie. He came back to find me in my study. He reported that he had told Robbie the news and that Robbie was down below fixing the Guardian Link had hit square in the eye.

Hearing this, I got up from my seat, excited to see the Guardian operational again. I walked out onto the bridge calmly at first with Link behind me. When I got to the point where I could see the Guardian, I ran a little to gaze downward. I smiled as I saw the Guardian obeying the orders of all the Sheikah working on it with Robbie.

"Incredible," I said, "We're at a point now where we can actually control them. At the current rate, we'll soon know all we need to know about the Guardians and the Divine Beasts!"

Turning away from the sight below, I looked back to Link. I was happy that we had decided to stop by. Seeing the success of the relics was a relief. It gave me the hope I needed.

Continuing I beamed, "And should Ganon ever show itself again, we'll be well positioned to defend ourselves."

Before I could do anything else, my hope spiraled down as I heard the rough voice of Father behind me ask, "What are you doing out here, Zelda?"

I turned while Link took a knee. My hand went up to my chest as I watched Father walk across the bridge. Then my hand dropped as I balled it up into a fist. I knew what was coming next and I had nothing clever to say to stop it besides the truth.

"I . . . I was assessing the results of the experiment with the Guardians. These pieces of ancient technology could be quite useful against the--"

"I know that," he retorted, making me feel stupid for saying any of it, "They are essential to Hyrule's future, and our research demands that we keep a close eye on them. However . . ."

I remained collected as I knew what that word entailed. Keeping silent, I listened to what he had to say as my King.

". . . as the princess, you currently have a crucial unfulfilled responsibility to your kingdom," he said as my head stared down at the stone, "Let me ask you once more. When will you stop treating this as some sort of childish game?"

Finally, I spoke up. "I'm doing everything I can." I stammered a little before explaining, "I'll have you know that I just recently returned from the Spring of Courage where I offered every ounce of my prayers to the Goddess--"

He cut me off again as I squeezed my fist tighter, trying not to scream as he said, "And now you are here wasting your time. You need to be dedicating every moment you have to your training. You must be single-minded in unlocking the power that will seal Calamity Ganon away."

"I already am," I started, pushing my urge to scream at him as some of my anger leaked out, "Don't you see--there's nothing more I can do! My hope is . . . My hope is that you--That you'll allow me to contribute here in whatever way I can."

He shook his head, his voice rising above mine. "No more excuses, Zelda! Stop running away from your duty. As the king, I forbid you to have anything to do with these machines from this moment on and command you to focus on your training."

My hands were both in fists. Father turned to face the Guardian down below. I dared not to speak another word.

"Do you know how the gossip mongers refer to you?" he asked, going to a topic I wished not to dwell on. "They are out there at this moment whispering among themselves . . . that you are the heir to a throne of nothing . . . nothing but failure."

I continued to stare at the stone beneath me as I sighed in anguish. A memory of Mother telling me that all would be well, in the end, crossed my mind. She also told me that I could do anything. How wrong she had been as I stood, listening to what my own people had to say about me.

"It is woven into your destiny, that you prove them wrong," he said calmly, turning back to me, "Do you understand?"

"Yes," I said, my hand clutching the other in front of me, "I understand."

He walked away, leaving us. Before he left though, he told one of the guards to collect the Sheikah Slate and hand it over to Impa. I watched as the guard went into my study and took the one thing I had to show for myself. I had nothing. It was back to the spring I went.

So the song I chose wasn't really for listening while you read, I just thought it fit this moment perfectly. Zelda just wants to do it her way. And as the Silent Princess, she holds in a lot. Vote, comment, and until next time!