Awakening

It had been five minutes of us sitting there on the ground. My tears soaked into Link's shirt. Thanks to the rain already falling, it didn't do much to it. I couldn't believe we were still sitting there. My legs felt numb. I decided that there was more I needed to say.

"It is quite selfish of me," I began, my voice muffled as my head was on his shoulder, "You are the only thing that can stop Ganon now, but yet . . . I cannot force myself to let you go. I don't want you to die."

I grasped at the fabric of his shirt, tears flowing down my dirt-stained cheeks. Like the first time I was in his arms, his thumb coaxed the back of my head. I wondered what his thoughts were. What he thought of me after all that had happened. He once said that I inspired him.

Then answering my thoughts without saying anything, he pulled me away from his shoulder so I could see his blue eyes. I saw tears lining in his eyes. It was something that I had never seen before.

He took one of my hands in his. I watched as he lifted it, pressing my cold trembling hand against his warm lips. He closed his eyes and a tear landed on my hand. I stared at it, not believing that I just witnessed him show that much affection towards anything, let alone me.

"Let's go," he said standing as his hand continued to hold mine.

"Where?" I asked, then adding angrily, "If you think that you're leaving me somewhere and then going to fight Ganon alone, I won't allow it! I realize that you have to, but I can't just--"

He stopped my words by giving my hand a warm squeeze, "I'm not going anywhere without you."

I gave a nod, "What's your plan then?"

"We travel to Fort Hateno where hopeful, some knights have survived. With their help, we should be able to make it into the castle."

"Good idea," I said right before we heard a snap behind us. Looking into the darkness of the trees, I added, "Time to go."

We briskly walked forward. I switched from holding Link's right hand to his left as he pulled out the gleaming sword. When we came out of the cover of the trees, we walked beside Hylia River until we crossed Horwell Bridge. From there we walked off the path travelers usually took, remaining by water instead, following the Squabble River as we went through the split in Dueling Peaks.

There we found a settlement of houses. I gasped as I saw the flames rising from the structures. I should have known the Guardians would be attacking there too. The place had uncovered a good chunk of the Stalker Guardians. The knights from the fort were already fighting bravely.

Together, Link and I ran closer to see exactly what was happening. We spotted some of the knights at the edge of Bubinga Forest, using their bows to shoot from a distance. The one in charge looked our way, a look of astonishment on his face.

"Princess! Link! You're alive!" he said, as the rest of the archers glanced our way.

"We were coming for your help, but it seems you need aid as well," I commented, looking sadly at the ruins as the wind blew ashes along with the falling rain.

The captain shut his eyes tightly, "Most of the men are at the fort, protecting Hateno Village from this same destruction. I can bring what men I can to aid you."

I firmly shook my head, "No, I cannot have you abandon your posts at this hour of need. Our attempts at the castle will be worthless if we let all of Hyrule's people die."

"Princess, are you certain?"

"Yes, Captain. Are there any villagers still in that area?"

"We believe so, yes. Two children are uncounted for."