12. The Tutor

12

I was lying on my bed on Carson's chest while he played with a piece of my hair. We've been up in my room for an hour with the door locked. It was nice just being with him and my family nowhere to be seen.

"So, are you just about ready to go back down?" He asked rubbing my shoulder.

"No, can we stay up here forever."

He chuckled. "No, come on Gracie. I'm getting really hungry."

Then on cue, my stomach growled too. "I guess I am too."

"Are you willing to go hungry just to not see your family?"

"Believe it or not, yes."

"Get up Gracie."

"No." I said holding onto him.

He laughed. "You can't hide forever." He paused. "Oh, also, I'm stronger than you." He lifted me up and held me in his arms.

"Not fair!"

"Life's not fair."

He got the door open with me still in his arms and he walked downstairs. I was starting to get panicky. "Carson, put me down so I can run."

"Nope. You have to face your fears."

"They're my fears! I'm afraid of them!"

He laughed and we got to the bottom step. Everyone was in the living room and turned to look the minute we came into view.

"Gracie, I'm so sorry!" My mom said coming forward. Carson set me down and I just glared. "We all said some pretty awful things. I didn't realize how awful they were until I thought about it. We're all sorry. And we think you and Carson make a wonderful couple."

I continued glaring. "What you said, was so embarrassing, rude, and uncalled for, that I don't know when I can ever forgive any of you."

"Psh, I'm not even apologizing." Marta said pouting. Maggie and Melanie were pouting too. I guess they're all upset that Carson is actually taken.

"Yes you are Marta." My grandma scolded.

"Well, Carson and I are still hungry. We're going to get some food."

I grabbed his hand and dragged him into the kitchen. "See, they're all sorry. It's not that bad."

"It's not going to stop them from doing it again some other time."

I went and got two plates ready and heated them up in the microwave.

"Well, you know your family is much more interesting than mine."

"I'd rather have an uninteresting family then mine."

"That's not true, trust me."

"I still can't believe my mom dragged you into all this. I really am happy to have you here, but I also didn't want you to come for a reason."

"Because of your family, I know, but I would end up meeting them eventually."

I paused. Does that mean he's willing to stay with me in the long run? "Here's your food." I said handing it to him.

We both ate in silence. When we finished I placed the dishes in the sink and walked back into the living room. Everyone was still sitting around talking, but shut up when we came in.

"What?" I snapped.

"Nothing." Maggie said.

I rolled my eyes and walked upstairs with Carson following.