Chapter 31: For Your Life

Bắt đầu từ đầu

"Ena." Lina grinds out as she pushes with all her might.

That small plea for help in her voice snaps me out of it and I hurry up to help. I'll be damned if this door gets the better of us all. Only my determination to best this and survive pulled me through the sharp pain of my raw, scratched up arm hitting the door, and even that couldn't stop the shout of pain. Still, I pushed with every last ounce of strength someone like me had left to give, my burning muscles and bruises be damned.

The loud, piercing whine of the hinges did make me weep this time. Shaking at every limb, I let the tears stream down. Just let me get inside. Before my collapse I just need to get inside, oh please oh please.

Kaylie, smart girl, was pushing with her back, the least hurt part of her. Don't know why everyone else didn't follow suit. I know I certainly didn't change positions for fear of collapsing if the door didn't hold me up. Whatever reason it was, it meant that Kaylie was the only out really looking out behind us; which also meant that she was the first to see what she saw. Luckily her scream and pointing finger alerted the rest of us too.

I ceased my pushing and turned around to see what had terrified her so much, but once saw what she did, I wasn't quite sure what to do, because there, in the shadows, I saw a silhouette headed right for us. Too dark to make out what it was, but it was coming at a steady and sure pace right from the heart of the darkness.

"Well what now?" Asked Ryan, strangely calm. "No way are we getting inside and closing the door before that arrives."

I giggled. Couldn't help myself my emotions were all over the place. The absurdity of it all and how Ryan was so resigned he couldn't even muster up enough fear to properly react. I had cried it all out, the drying tears on my face were a testament to that, so what else was there left to do except laugh? Leaning against the doors in my last moments and laughing at the one last thing I really have reason to cry for.

"Distract it." Isabella kept calm and pragmatic. "Since I'm as good as gone anyway, I'll do it."

"No." Corrin hisses. "Bella, no way."

Her words sober me up fast. My mind spins. Her suggestion wasn't bad, but the outcome was. Without wings nor magic there was no way we were all getting out of this alive. My mind whirled with ideas and scenarios, trying to find the best one.

"I'm supposed to be dead anyway. You all knew that." She counters.

"Exactly. I can't lose you again."

"There's no time to debate."

"No. No way."

I cough trying to break this up. "How about . . ." I start, making sure everyone can hear my despite my scratchy, raw throat. "Isabella, yes you go." I suggest slowly, hold up a finger to Corrin's protests, and quickly continue on, talking over him. "Listen, listen. Hear me out. If she goes now and runs fast enough, she has enough time to try and fend it off and lead it astray, but, here's the thing, she heads off around . . . there. Then she'll be right by her statue and can jump in."

Isabella smiles. "Not a bad idea. See, brother? It'll be alright."

Corrin looks pained. "Far too risky. No idea how she'll even get in her statue, like you keep saying."

I can't answer him like he probably wishes I could, and I know for sure I wished I knew. "Touch it? No idea, I'm sorry."

Isabella grabs Corrin's hand and leans towards him with a smile so she can plant a kiss on his cheek, which I'm not even sure he can feel. She then ruffles his hair and darts off right for the ever growing silhouette. Corrine looks lost, like he's torn between saving himself and running after his twin. My heart stops as I wonder if I made the wrong choice. Did I just send her to her death?