Chapter 25: Where to Go Next

Just sitting there, cross-legged. Just letting the fog sweep over me, twist around me, and caress me. Just staring out into its swirling, grey abyss. Just trying not to think about the pain. That was all I was doing.

I had no idea how long I had already been sitting there, but I knew it had been a while because my legs and back were beginning to ache from staying so, so still. I ached to move, but I did not. Why would I? I had nowhere to go and nothing to do. Time was frozen, so I was too.

"Do you know not where to go, child? Is that why you stay so still, unmoving?" She spoke to me, her tone gentle and soothing.

I did not speak. I did not have to. She already knew the answer. I did not know why she even asked.

"You must continue on despite this, fire girl." She urges. "Find us. Save us."

"I can't find you if I head in the wrong direction. I can't save you if I walk away from you." I finally decide to speak.

"I cannot help you, fire girl. Even I know not where we currently reside."

I sigh. "If you do not know, then how should I?"

"You'll find us. I have faith." She spoke encouragingly.

"I cannot find you if I am heading in the wrong direction," I repeat.

"I am sorry."

I did not reply, instead choosing to sit and stare out into the nothingness. There was nothing to be said. She also stayed silent, probably feeling the same way. The silence was heavy between us. I let it weigh on me, not wanting to speak unnecessarily. Not even to lift the weight of the silence.

Then something occurred to me. Despite the fact that she and I were here, no one else was. There was no one else, as far as the eye could see. Admittedly, it wasn't that far due to the heavy, thick fog, but I could not hear anyone either. It was strange, that she kept insisting that there were many people that needed my aid, yet there was never anyone around.

"Where are they?" I ask aloud.

"Who?"

"All those people you keep insisting need my help. You say that they are trapped and so are you, yet I see no one else but you."

"They are not here."

"Then here are they, if not here?"

"Somewhere else." She replies, vaguely. "I know not where."

"Then why are you here? How are you here?"

"Because I was dying before any of this happened. My soul was not in my body, but it had not joined the dead yet. I was in transition when he trapped all the others. But my soul is still trapped to some extent. That is the only reason why I am able to summon you and speak to you here." She explains.

"Where is here?"

"It is not a place. You are alive and your soul is safely inside your body. Where here is, is not important. You must find all the others."

"But you do not know where they are either." I point out, remembering what she had told me earlier.

"True, but I can tell you where we were before all of this happened."

"What do you mean?"

"We were alive once. Some of us still are, in some way. I can tell you where our souls used to be and where our bodies still are."