Chapter 11: Aires, the Kingdom of Air

After last night's fun and games, it was time to start off again, and that is exactly what we did. We had been flying most of the day. Or, rather, Lucas and Lina had been flying, and I had been carried by Lucas. Who, despite all my protests that he couldn't carry me the whole day, just kept on flying.

"Lucas!" I whine. "Come on. I don't want you tumbling out of the air just because you insisted on carry me all the way without stopping."

"Do you doubt my abilities?" Comes the response, which, or course, made me feel guilty.

"Oh, no, sorry." I immediately apologize.

"I was joking." Another miracle,he made a joke. "Look. Aires is coming into view." He points out, just as we rise above the clouds.

Sure enough, Aires was coming into view. It was a beautiful kingdom, suspended in the air. Soem building floated apart form the others, but most were together on one great landmass. The clouds threaded in and out of the buildings, obscuring half the kingdom from view.

Aires looked serene and peaceful. A slumbering kingdom, if you will. But that wasn't it. Not at all. Despite it's peaceful look, it was the exact opposite.

The air-fey were well known for being warriors. They trained children of any rank, age and gender in intensive training. What made it easier, is that the air-fey were born with some innate battle-sense. From the time they could walk, they could fight. It was in their blood.

Scaring the air-fey was a very bad idea. If they were startled, they would react, and not in a good way. Having defensive warriors pointing weapons at you was a very bad situation to be in, whatever kingdom you were in.

Lucas stops midair. "Carolina, go on ahead and inform them that we are coming."

Apparently, he was thinking the exact same thing as me. But I didn't like the way he solved it. He was sending my best friend to face a bunch of guards.

"I don't like this." I counter Lucas.

"Eh, I'll go." I stare at her. "What?" She asks. "I can handle a few angry wind fey. I'll even make lots of noise to they know I'm coming." She reassures me.

I sigh and shake my head. "Be careful."

"Tell them that the Princess is coming." Lucas reminds her.

"Yeah, yeah." Lina calls over her shoulder as she calls off.

I start to worry. "I hope she will be okay."

"You don't live under the same roof as her. She will definitely be alright, Princess." Lucas reassures me.

After that, we hover in silence. Until I hear a "Hello" ring out and the sound of weapons being drawn. After that, an argument ensues. Typical. Carolina was arguing with an army of trained guards. By the time it had died down, I was shaking with laughter.

Suddenly, an indignant Lina came bursting out of the fog, guards on her heels. She comes to a stop a bit away from us, and turns to address the guards.

"See?" She bursts out, jabbing her finger in our direction. "There you go. That the Princess. I was not lying."

One guard steps forward. "Come with us. We will bring you to the king."

We all come with them and are brought through the kingdom. The difference between Aires and Fyria is striking. Fyria is full of noise and light, with houses painted all sorts of colours. The colours are vibrant and and the townspeople have personalities to match. Aires, on the other hand, felt washed out in comparison. The colours were grey, and the houses were made out of glass and grey stones. The towns people here all seemed to be quiet and . . . dull. There was laughter from fledglings, but all other fey were seemingly quiet.