Chapter Two: Hidden Tales

I look back and forth expectantly. "Well?" I ask.

"Well . . ." My father repeats, seemingly reluctant to tell me. "You see, you should have learned this in your classes . . ." He trails off.

My mother taps him on the arm. "Rowan, don't be silly. Every fey knows that we do not teach this part of our history to all children, it is left to the parents."

Now I'm looking back and forth anxiously. Everything was told in lessons. Even the most brutal parts of our history were described vividly to fledglings. What could possibly be so brutal and so horrible that it was left up to the parents whether or not to tell their children?

I look back and forth worriedly. "What is it?"

"Oh dear." She mother says to my father. "Look, just tell her, the tension is too much, it's really not fair. Not saying anything just makes it worse."

"Alright." My father says. "There were once five elements. Fire, water, air, earth and . . . spirit. The spirits were beings with unimaginable powers. They were very different from other fey. First and foremost, their power was not tangible. They could kill a faerie warrior without any warning. They could disappear into nothingness and appear out of nowhere. But we were willing to live with them, as they were at peace with all the four other kingdoms. They had model citizens, never causing any trouble."

I interrupt. "If they were so perfect, what happened?"

Father looks over at me, irritated. "I'm getting there." He clear his throat and continues. "We all lived fine, until they betrayed us. They fought against us wanting to take over all the kingdoms. We couldn't believe that our most peaceful kingdom was dong this. But we also couldn't let them destroy our lives and had to destroy them."

I thought about this, and suddenly had a thought. "Can you kill spirit faeries? Aren't dead fey essentially their magic? Can you kill them? How would that work?"

"Ah, you see, that was the thing." He chuckles. "We didn't kill them. We made them disappear."

"How?" I ask.

"Eh." Father shrugs. "Who knows? Who cares? They're gone and we are peaceful again. This was also many generations ago, and the past is in the past. It doesn't matter anymore."

I jump up, suddenly upset. "We wiped out a whole kingdom and a whole element. Wasn't that a bit harsh?"

Mother looks over at me sadly. "Our ancestors did it to protect the kingdoms and our children. We had no choice. They were killing off whole armies of faeries and children alike!"

For some reason, this news upset me. I know that it was done for the better good, but it was still a horrible idea. I just imagined how I would feel if the fire kingdom got killed off. I didn't like it. I run out of the room, going to the place which brought me comfort from the outside world. The library.

I wander around aimlessly in the library, until I come to a stop in front of a book that calls to me. I reach up and take it off the shelves. I haven't read in before. Actually, I realize as I look around me, I haven't read any of these books. I wonder why. Then it dawns on me, as a look behind me. There I notice the sign, and the door. The door I've never gone though. Which is now open. Which I have just gone through.

The door to the forbidden part of the library. I've entered the only part of the library I've never seen. Also, the only part of the library that father forbade me to see. I've broken my promise. I sigh. This really isn't my day.

Oh well. I think. What's done is done.

I look down to the book I'm holding and gingerly turn it over in my hands. I read the cover: Hidden Tales. I read it again, puzzled. What could I possibly mean? I open the cover as it's the only way I'll every find out.

The book cover creaks as it opens. It looks very old, its pages yellowing, and very untouched as it's covered in dust. That makes me very confused. Father takes very good care of all his books in the forbidden section. All the other books are proof of that. There's not a spec of dust to be seen anywhere in the room except this book.

Maybe he didn't know this book existed. A nagging voice said in the back of my head. Maybe you were the first to find it since . . . many generations ago.

I promptly stop that thought. How is that possible? A book can't just exist in the personal section of the library of the most powerful fire-fey in existence and not be known about. It was silly thought. But for some reason, father never touched that book. Maybe I shouldn't touch it either. But my curiosity got the better of me. I look down to the front cover and read what it says.

Book Holder: Anina Moreno.

There. That was all. Nothing else. Just a name of who the book belonged too. Once again, I turned the page. Blank. I turned the page again and there it was. The first chapter. If you could call it that. There were short lines of text. It was more of a poem. In fact, it was a poem.

Here's what it said.

💮💮💮💮💮💮💮💮💮💮

Cliffhanger. I love those. But they are evil, I know. But still, I love them, they're just way too much fun to write.

Please vote if you liked it (pleeeease?) and comment thigh is and feedback. Honest feedback but nothing plain out hurtful please!

- Julica❤