Chapter Fifteen

(A/N - last chapter dear readers. Last chapter)

➰➰➰➰➰➰➰

* 3 Years Later*

Rukia was putting the final balloons around the gift table while Renji was setting out all the plates and silverware on the tables. This was going to be the triplets' third birthday party, and the two godparents were making sure all the last details were perfect. It was really all Rukia and Orihime's idea, any excuse for a party and they were all over it.

Rukia turned over to her best friend and smiled. He looked so tired; the dark circles under his eyes were proof of his fatigue. He looked a bit skinnier, as if he had loss a bit of muscle mass. She understood completely, Renji and Byakuya had their baby only two months ago and were still adjusting to parenthood. She looked towards Byakuya who was sitting under his favorite sakura tree in his garden. In his arms was a small pink bundle, which he was smiling down at.

Renji and Byakuya's relationship started as a secret, but when the couple contacted Kisuke Urahara about possibilities for producing a child about two years into the relationship, the cat was out of the bag. Once Kisuke developed a plan to help the two conceive, then the couple informed the Kuchki elders who only agreed to their union due to the heir that was already growing inside Renji's artificial womb. And the idea that two captain-level parents would make an amazingly powerful child helped. And after nine grueling months, Renji gave birth to a baby girl who was named Kimiku Kuchki. The little girl had the same dark hair as Byakuya and also his dark grey eyes. Renji did not mind that his baby didn't have any of his physical traits, he knew his daughter would be just as gorgeous as his husband, and he couldn't ask for anything more. Besides, he was sure she would be strong as hell and that made his chest swell with pride.

Rukia smiled at her oldest friend, she was so proud of both of them. They finally, after so many years, had admitted their love to each other. And they took strides to make the relationship work against all the challenges. They had to, not only make it not interfere with their duties to the Soul Society and their squad, but also then overcome the obstacle of producing an heir for the Kuchki Clan without having to use a surrogate or concubine. Byakuya was not the biggest fan of Urahara, far from it actually, but he knew that Kisuke was the best shot they had at making their own family. So he learned to put aside his pride and ask for help from one of the most annoying men he had ever know. And of course that damn cat woman was there to make things even more embarrassing for them. Oh yes, she insisted on drawing graphic instructions on how to use the medicines and devices. And once again when they explained how the birth would occur – which was horrifying by the way (at least Renji thought so – since he was the one about to go under the knife).

"Hey everyone!" chirped Orihime as she walked up behind them. "Where should I put the gifts?" Her bubbly voice indicated she was in a very good mood, and when Rukia noticed Uryuu trudging behind her Rukia knew why. Orihime had been nuts for Uryuu for the past couple years once he agreed to make uniforms for the employees at Orihime's new bakery. She was the one to "woo" Uryuu so to speak. She was the one to start making moves, inviting him to dinner, making him food (edible food too! She had taken real culinary classes and it did wonders for her, but of course she still experimented during some occasional free time). She met him outside of his classes and jobs, with warm cocoa. She surprised him by going the extra mile to track down classmates to find out when major exams were planned. Of course she did not interrupt his studying processes… much. She would go to his usual spot at the university library on the third floor, all the way over to the left, the second table in from the window (he said it was so he wouldn't be distracted by what is happening outside). She would come up slowly and quietly (as Uryuu had scolded her in the past for being so loud and rambunctious). Then she would set down a large bag, filled with dinner and snacks for him as well as lots of water and tea. She also usually included little notes that would express her adoration for him and wish him luck on his exams. Of course at first Uryuu was stoic and cold about it, saying she was hassling him by randomly showing up and making scenes. But Orihime being so strong willed, she knew he as just terrible at expressing his true feelings. So she compromised and toned down her arrivals and made them less boisterous and overdone into thoughtful, helpful and quiet. Shortly after that change, Uryuu told her that he appreciated all her efforts and that her being willing to change her approach and appreciated all the love she put in her gifts to him. He apologized for treating her coldly, and asked for a second chance to show her he could be a gentleman. Orihime was overjoyed, to say the least. And ever since that night, they were an official couple, and he would show small signs of affection in public, which was huge step for him.