Chapter Twelve

Ichigo was currently sleeping in the bed he shared with Grimmjow. He gave birth yesterday and he was still exhausted from the surgery and from being up almost all night with the newborn cubs. Grimmjow was also up most of the night but he was still awake and in the medical room where his smallest son lay in an incubator. He was staring at the small boy, stroking his tiny hand with one finger. It broke his heart to see his son's chest moving robotically as his lungs were filled with oxygen, but he couldn't let Ichigo see him so down. Ichigo was already so distraught about little Kohaku that he only wanted to be positive around him. He had to be strong for Ichigo, and for Kohaku.

"He'll be okay," a soft voice said from the doorway making Grimmjow jump. He turned around in his chair to see Ishiin starting to walk inside the room. He came up next to the new father and put a hand on his shoulder. "I believe this little guy has some fight in him. He's got some of the strongest parents I've ever met. Not to mention a badass grandpa." He winked and smiled warmly at his new son-in-law. "So I have faith that he will pull through this. He just needs some more time to develop those lungs of his and to gain some weight. He'll be outta there in no time."

Grimmjow nodded. "Ya, you're prolly right." He sighed heavily. "I just want it ta happen soon. So he can go ta the nursery with the others, and so we don' have ta worry so much."

Ishiin nodded and replied, "I know, we all want that. But we just have to give him time." He paused. "So the other cubs aren't really tolerating the human baby formula."

"What?!" Grimmjow snapped his head to look at Ishiin so fast it's a wonder he didn't break his neck. "What do ya mean? Are they gonna be okay?"

"Yeah, I think we will just have to figure something else out. I figured that the Enfamil would be what they would eat since they're part human, but they keep throwing it up. Szayel said you can eat human food but it doesn't really satisfy you arrancars?"

"Oh, ya we don' really gain any strength with that food. We just eat it cause we can, and so Ichi don' have to eat alone," Grimmjow answered. "We eat each other, well we eat lesser hollows. Ya know, weaker ones." He looked thoughtful for a minute and then continued. "Do ya think the cubs need to eat hollows?"

"It's worth a shot," Ishiin agreed with a shrug. "How do we get our hands on those?"

"I'll go hunting and get 'em some chow," Grimmjow was on his feet in a second, already headed towards the door. "I'll be back real quick, watch over the cubs for me? And Ichi?"

"Of course I will. You don't have to ask," Ishiin smiled and waved Grimmjow off. He watched the new father run out of the room. Then turning around he walked closer to the incubator and stared down at his grandson. He petted the boy's bright blue hair with his fingers and smiled. "Kohaku, you're giving your papa a good scare. Anytime you're ready, I'll be glad to move you to the nursery with your brother and sister. You'll love them, they're sweet little cubs. They miss their little brother. So you work on getting bigger and stronger, okay little man?"

➰➰➰➰➰➰➰

Grimmjow returned with a small lizard-like hollow he found not too far from their home. This type of weak little hollow wouldn't even be considered a snack for Grimmjow or any other arrancar but it might be good for the cubs. He brought it in to the nursery where the babies were with Ishiin and Szayel. He smiled at his little son who was being rocked by his grandfather. Holding up the lizard hollow he grinned and said "daddy brought some dinner!" He tore off a leg from the beast and then tried to give it to the little boy. Akiyoshi just looked at his father like he was something extremely interesting, but didn't pay the food any mind.

Grimmjow brought the leg up to his mouth and made like he was munching on it theatrically. "Yum yum yum!" he cooed and smiled at the baby. Still, Akiyoshi didn't seem intrigued. Grimmjow looked over to Szayel and shrugged. "He doesn't like it," he grumbled.