Chapter Eight

Ichigo was growing larger and larger every day in his belly. The cubs were progressing nicely, according to Szayel's careful monitoring. He was now having difficulty getting up from bed and from chairs; the large, heavy weight in his abdomen was taking its toll. The nausea had ceased and now he was just mostly suffering from random moodiness and hormonal changes. He would sometimes have lower back pain, but being the good mate Grimmjow was he would rub Ichigo's back every night to help ease his pain.

"I just want them out," Ichigo groaned while lying on his back with his knees up on Szayel's exam table. "It's growing tiresome."

Szayel smiled and nodded. "I can understand that, Ichigo. But think of the cubs, we want to make sure they're healthy and fully matured before they arrive."

"Yeah, yeah, but how much longer will it be?" Ichigo asked, hopeful for it to be over soon.

"Well, that is hard to say, Ichigo. It isn't a set time limit like for humans. All arrancars are different. But seeing as how you're so large, and how you have already been feeling movement for a while now, I'd say you're in the last trimester, so to speak," Szayel answered. He shifted his weight to his other foot. "Are you ready to get the next ultrasound and see what is going on in there?"

Ichigo's eyes fluttered up to the pink-haired scientist. "You mean, we can see how many there is? And genders?" There was definitely plenty of excitement in his voice.

Nodding, Szayel smiled again. "Yes, provided the young are in the right position to be able to see their sex."

"I want to!" Ichigo grinned wide.

"Should we do it tomorrow, when Grimmjow can be here? He's still out scouting the area right now," Szayel reminded Ichigo.

"Can't we do it now? And I take give him the picture?"

Laughing, Szayel put up his hands in defeat. "Alright Ichigo, have it your way." He went over to his portable ultrasound machine and rolled it over to the bedside. Ichigo's stomach was already bare, and Szayel squirted some clear gel onto his abdomen and moved the wand around. Loud pulsing of heartbeats could be heard through the speakers on the device. Then in black, white and shades of gray the cubs were seen on the monitor. There was three little curled up bodies, their heads still slightly larger than their bodies.

"Congratulations, Ichigo, you're going to be a proud father of three," Szayel said pointing to the three bodies. "All of their heartbeats are strong at this point. And judging by their formation so far, we still have a few more weeks to go before they'll be safe to arrive. But don't worry; it will be over before you know it!"

Szayel moved the wand around towards the bottom of Ichigo's baby bump and looked from the new angle. "Well, it looks like one is a boy." Then he moved a little to the left. "And a female." Then Szayel frowned and moved the wand to the right side, then upwards. "It looks like this last one doesn't want to reveal themselves to us, Ichigo. I'm sorry, but they're too tightly wound up. I can't get a clear view at the genitals."

Ichigo smiled and nodded to Szayel. "That's okay; at least I know two of them. And besides, that kind of makes it more fun, to not know all of their genders. We have to wait." Before Ichigo could stop himself, warm tears were rolling down his cheeks. "I'm sorry. I don't know what came over me…" He said while trying to wipe all the tears away.

"That's perfectly okay, Ichigo, this is a very touching moment," Szayel replied while handing Ichigo a tissue. "Now let me print this out so you can show your mate."

➰➰➰➰➰➰➰➰

Grimmjow sighed as he came into the living quarters. It had been one hell of a day. There were several lower hollows parading around the outskirts, not too far from their home. That was taken care of, but it took a while since there was only himself and Stark on duty to help. Grimmjow was left tired, sweaty, and hungry. He drug his feet through the doorway of the bedroom and then noticed Ichigo sitting upright on the bed. Ichigo looked sternly at Grimmjow, and he held a small piece of white paper in his hands. It looked as if he was waiting for Grimmjow, and had been for a while.