Chapter Fourteen

A hell butterfly floated next to Byakuya's desk. He looked up from the report he was writing and waved to the butterfly to play its message. The message started to play and once he heard Rukia's voice his eyes widened. He was not the type to grumble, but if he was he would have been muttering about how long it's been since he had heard from her – and Renji, come to think of it.

"Brother, I apologize for not explaining my absence and my whereabouts sooner.

Renji and I were very concerned about Ichigo, and especially due to the fact that he hadn't returned from Hueco Mundo. We both felt that we couldn't wait any longer to find him, so we had left for Hueco Mundo without alerting anyone. I know that was wrong of us, and I'm sorry. We expected to find him quickly and then return to the Sereitei. We didn't expect to find what we did. Ichigo is alive and well – and he is a new father. He has three newborns! Renji and I are here with him, trying to help him out as much as possible with his new family. And, Brother, before you wonder who Ichigo's children's mother is – it's actually Ichigo who carried them. Apparently arrancars and visords can get pregnant regardless of gender. Renji is apologizing in the background over here for not telling you all of this himself. We should be returning soon. Thank you for your understanding."
Byakuya scowled as the butterfly disappeared after its message was complete. He didn't know if he was more shocked about Ichigo or upset with Renji and Rukia for not telling him sooner. But Ichigo a father? Three children at once? That poor boy.

"He thought about what to do for a few moments and then he stood from his desk and called for his attendant whom he spoke with briefly. Then he readied himself for travel.

➰➰➰➰➰➰➰

Rukia was on the floor with baby Masaki, changing her diaper and making silly faces at her. Masaki was smiling and waving her tiny arms about happily. Renji was next to them in one of the rocking chairs in the nursery with Yoshi who was cooing and wiggling in Renji's arms. Renji turned him so he was leaning against his chest and bounced him lightly.

Ichigo and Grimmjow were with Szayel and Ishiin, the new parents were learning how to properly feed Kohaku through his feeding tube, which left Renji and Rukia to babysit the other two babies. They didn't mind though, the ex-Rukon rats loved children and had such a way with them.

"I see you both have your hands full," said a flat, un-amused voice, causing everyone to freeze.
Both Rukia and Renji's heads shot up, their eyes wide and their mouths open in silent gasps.

"Brother!"

"Captain!" Renji sputtered and jumped to his feet, careful to keep a good hold on Yoshi at the same time. He bowed to his captain and began to apologize. "Sir, I apologize for running away without informing you first. I was worried for Ichigo, and I was upset that nobody was going after him or wanting to find him. And then when I found he was pregnant I didn't want to leave him even though he said he was fine. Plus there are a lot of arrancar around and I don't trust them."

"Renji," Byakuya tried to interject into Renji's rambling.

"I am sorry I didn't notify when we got here, either. We just got so distracted. We went to tell Ichigo's father and bring him here and then when we got back Ichigo had to have emergency surgery to deliver," Renji continued.

"Renji, stop," Byakuya tried again to interrupt.

"And we were gonna come back real soon! Ichigo is on his feet again and Grimmjow is really helping out-"

"Renji! Stop talking!" Byakuya commanded loudly. He watched Renji close his mouth abruptly and bow in respect. "I understand why you both left. And although I would have much preferred prior notice, I am not terribly upset. You are both good friends to come looking for him." He paused briefly. "The head captain will not be so lenient but you are not in trouble with me. I agree something should have been done sooner."