Chapter Eleven

Ichigo was stripped down to nothing, his clothes removed since they would only get in the way during the operation. He had a blanket covering his legs and his genitals but his chest and stomach were exposed. Ishiin had placed a privacy screen around his upper chest so that Ichigo could not see himself being gutted while the babies were being removed, this would make sure Ichigo would not become distressed at the sight of his blood and guts. Grimmjow was holding Ichigo's hand tightly, standing by his head and neck area, not looking below the screen either. Ichigo looked nervous and slightly pale, Grimmjow also looked scared.

"It's gonna be okay Ichi," Grimmjow whispered down to Ichigo. He smiled lightly. "We're gonna get to see our cubs! And your dad is here. He won't let anythin' happen to them."

Ichigo gulped, but nodded. Grimmjow was right, his dad would not let harm come their way if at all possible. He was a good doctor, and Ichigo believed in him.

Ichigo was given a shot into his spinal cord of anesthetic; this would numb the pain or at least hopefully dull it to almost nothing. Then he was prepped with iodine around his belly, where the incisions would be made. Ishiin was to Ichigo's left side, he had a small tray with clamps, scalpels, forceps, suture utensils for closure and some cleaning agents on it. Szayel was to his right, and he also had a similar tray with the same. They both looked at the parents who nodded. Ichigo was hooked up to fetal monitors as well as monitors for his own blood pressure, heart rate and blood oxygen levels.

Ishiin placed a scalpel to the lower part of Ichigo's baby bump, Grimmjow clamped his eyes shut and let out a deep breath. "Here we go, Ichigo," Ishiin said softly. He seemed so much more in control of himself when he was acting as a doctor. He didn't have silly outbursts or flail about and he did not talk to Ichigo as though he was five. If the situation wasn't so serious right now he would have thanked his father for not being an idiot, but he was too scared right now to even consider starting anything. Grimmjow clamped his hand tighter around Ichigo's and opened his eyes, staring into Ichigo's lovely chocolate brown eyes, keeping his focus on his mate rather than the scalpel biting into his lover's stomach.

Ichigo thankfully could not feel the pain of his skin being cut open so precisely. He did feel pressure as something he assumed were hands started to press around inside of his gut. They were probably looking for his uterus-like organ where the babies were growing. Soon there was a pulling and tearing sensation as pressure was suddenly increased and then quickly relieved. Ichigo's eyes flashed around to his father, who he could barely see over the curtain over his belly, who still had a determined look on his face. Then he looked back to Grimmjow, who was still gazing at him with blue eyes full of admiration and wonder. The fatherhood thing was really hitting him hard right now, Ichigo thought. Only a few more minutes and he would be holding his new cubs.

There was a quick pop sound and then a small wail. The sounds of the newborn's cries were strong and loud and Ichigo couldn't be more proud. He wanted to reach out for the baby but Grimmjow held his hand tight and shook his head, telling him he needed to wait while the doctors checked the infant over.

"I have a grandson!" Ishiin exclaimed proudly. He began to wipe off the blood and remnants of the embryotic fluid from the small cub. Turning to Grimmjow he smiled. "Grimmjow, would you like to do the honors of cutting your son's umbilical cord?" Grimmjow looked at Ichigo as if asking permission, and when he received a nod he turned back to his father-in-law. Taking a pair of medical scissors he was instructed on where the cut could be made. Ichigo heard the scissors snap and then Grimmjow sighed with relief knowing he didn't screw anything up. He glanced at the small, wrapped figure in Ishiin's arms and smiled, he longed to snatch his cub and hold him but before he could Ishiin turned away. He then proceeded with the typical procedures of weighing the newborn and checking his vital signs.