What Now?

I woke up with a start causing myself to fall from the couch I was on,

"Fuck" I said as I fell on the floor with a thump.

"Need some help?"

Now I was really confused and as I made eye-contact with Kehlani I remembered where I was and how I got there.

"O-oh shit!" 
I quickly sprang up and tried to make myself presentable only to realize I was in my underwear and completely topless.

"Oh God!"

I quickly picked up the throw blanket on the couch and covered myself. I had been up for all of 5 minutes and I was already a mess. I sat down and tried to regroup.

Rubbing my temples, I began "Okay... so first, what happened to my clothes?"

"Well I woke up before you and you looked mighty uncomfortable in that dress so I thought I'd help you out of it" She was smirking now, well she always smirks, but this time more like a cheshire cat "and imagine my surprise when I saw you weren't wearing a bra - of course I didn't mind.."

I blushed and then turned to her sternly "Well then get me something to wear" She arched a brow at me and I rolled my eyes and grumbled "...please"

"That's more like it, I'll be back"

When she left the room, I peaked to make sure she was gone and then began to check out my surroundings. 

With the blanket trailing behind me, I walked around the lavish penthouse. It was pretty minimalistic so there wasn't much to look at. There was one portrait though, it was Kehlani and honestly quite surprising because I didn't take her for the type to just having paintings of herself.

It's a beautiful painting and it was signed, but it was too faded to read the signature. 

I reached up to touch it and was stopped short by a hand on mine.

"Uh, It's fragile and old"

Embarrassed, I nodded and ducked my head

"Sorry"

She chuckled and lifted my head with her finger.

"You don't have to be embarrassed"

This only embarrassed me further, so I changed the subject

"The clothes, please?"

"Oh yeah, here you go" She handed me an oversized crewneck sweater , which I accepted graciously 

"Thanks"

"No problem" She smiled at me, and it was a beautiful smile.

She made no move to leave, so as nicely as I could I asked her if she was going to leave.

"-so I can like change?"

"It's nothing I haven't seen before" She winked my way and I blushed and turned away 

"Don't look!"

I dropped  the blanket and threw the sweater on as fast as possible.

"Okay you can look now" I said as I turned around, only to see that she was already facing me.

"Oh, I was supposed to not look? I swore you told me to 'look'" She managed to look contrite, but I could see the smirk playing on her lips.

"Ugh you're a fool!"

"Ah, that I am! and while we're on the topic of foolishness , can we talk... about last night?"

"oh... yeah last night. How much do you even remember from last night anyway?" I mentally crossed my fingers hoping she didn't remember anything

"Nothing, really... I just remember our fight and I waking up with a hellish hangover"

We chuckled and fell into a tension filled silence. Kehlani cleared her throat and spoke again.

"Listen, Drew, I don't want to put you in an awkward position. If you want me to back off I will, if that want you want...."

It seemed that every part of me was begging me to tell her she was wrong, that I didn't want her to back off, I just wanted her. Even though every part of me seemed to scream this, I knew this was a mess I didn't need to be apart of. If she has a girl or had and is still tripping over her, it's best if I stay away and save myself the pain.

"Yeah, Kehlani. I meant what I said at the party last night. It's best if I'm just your assistant. To go any further than that would be a mistake" 

I saw something flash in her eyes, too quick to know what it was. Hurt? It doesn't matter, I couldn't put myself through another painful love story.

Kehlani coughed and straightened herself out "I understand that. I guess, I'll take you home then"

"yeah that'd be great."

The rest of the time we  spent together was spent in silence, all the way back to my place. This was the first time I thought about Alex since last night, I quickly checked my phone and found 80 missed calls and many frantic text messages from Alex. She was going to kill me.

"We're here" When I turned to face her, Kehlani was facing the other way and sat rigid

"o-oh okay, thanks. See you at the office Monday..."

"You don't have to come to the office Monday or at all anymore really"

I froze, terrified that she was firing me. 

Sensing this, she turned to me with a smile that didn't quite meet her eyes.

"Don't worry, I'm not firing you. Honestly, you never needed to come to the office, I kept on asking you back there for selfish reasons." Her smile was rueful as she continued "I will email you everything from now on"

The finality in her tone was starling, and even though I wanted to object, in the end I simply nodded.

"Okay then, have a good rest of the day"

Kehlani didn't reply and sped off as soon as I closed the door

I watched the car disappear in the distance and walked to the apartment.

When I walked through the door, an frantic and wild looking Alex was right there waiting.

"Where the hell have you been? Do you know how worried I was? I called you a thousand time! Why would you do that to my poor hea-"

She stopped and took in my face. I tried my best to stay composed, but I guess I didn't pull it off too well.

"D? What's wrong? Did something happen?" 

I could barely stutter words out my mouth and just fell into Alex's shoulder and cried. I didn't understand why I was crying, but I've never been one to hold back. 

Alex led me to the couch and held me close to her.

"Whatever it is, it's gonna be okay. I promise"

And while I knew she was only trying to comfort me,I wanted to warn her that some promises you just can't keep.