24• Leaving Once Again

"what do you mean i'm coming back? Gray, i just got here." i turned to look the other way.

"well yeah, a week ago and it's a living hell. speaking of, where's the witch?"

i rolled my eyes. "she should be home from work any second now."

Grayson scoffed. "she works? where?"

i started to walk towards the kitchen. "mcdonald's."

Grayson laughed as i fixed me a glass of milk.

suddenly, the door slammed shut, causing me to spill some of the milk.

"i gotta go, E. call you later". Grayson whispered into my phone.

i gritted my teeth and looked towards the door. "mom!"
i shouted, angrily.

she walked into the kitchen, obviously avoiding Grayson and eyeballing me. "clean that up! now! and who are you?" she turned around to face Grayson.

i could tell Grayson was uncomfortable and mom was being too harsh already.

i put the milk back in the fridge and walked so i was beside Grayson and facing my mother.

"this is my boyfriend. Grayson Dolan. this is my bitch ass mother."

Grayson's eyes widened as he took in my words.

"what did you call me? you know what, i don't care. just, just clean up the floor." she turned around but i stopped her.

"no." i demanded.

Grayson brought his hand to meet mine so our fingers were intertwined. "what're you doing?" he whispered in my ear.

i held up my pointer finger signaling for him to hang on.

"no?" my mother asked.

"it was your fault i spilled it. you know, i am sick and tired of you treating me like shit. i'm your daughter. why do you treat me like this? you said about a year ago that you couldn't have a better daughter than what you had and now y-."

"because a year ago your sister was alive, Maddie! you thought i was talking about you? all you cared about was staying up in your room and watching these weird ass twins videos."

Grayson hid a smile knowing that mom didn't know it was his videos i've always watched.

"maybe that's because i had nothing to come down for! you and dad were always fighting! Tatum had all kinds of friends that she'd go hang out with and i had no one!" i let go of Grayson's hand and ran it through my hair.

"it's your fault she's gone, Maddie." my mom lowered her voice.

i was beyond pissed by now.
"my fault? how in the hell is it my fault?!" i screamed, throwing my hands up.

"y'all were fighting over the damn front seat!" she muttered.

"yeah? and so what? i should've gotten in the back? so i could've died and she could've lived? cause it's pretty obvious you don't give a fucking shit about me!" by now i was crying.

my mom just scoffed and looked me dead in the eyes. "no one does."

hot tears ran down my cheeks and before i knew it, my fist was being drawn back and making contact with her face repeatedly.

"Maddie, Maddie! that's enough, let's go!" Grayson shouted, running up the stairs.

my mom lied on the ground, moaning.

there were only three boxes since i knew i probably wouldn't have lasted even this long. Grayson grabbed two which contained my clothes and i grabbed another that held all of my electronics and my backpack. we rushed everything into a truck.

"this is going to be a long drive." Grayson muttered as we climbed into the truck.

i climbed into the passengers side, placing my backpack in the floorboard.

"can we stop at starbucks?" i asked like a little child. Grayson laughed and nodded. "so after we go to starbucks," he chuckled. "we'll drive six hours to a hotel. the next morning we'll leave at about 9 and drive five hours to another hotel. do the same the next day and the next and then the next we'll just drive the rest of the way to LA."

i furrowed my eyebrows at him. "that was very confusing but okay." i laughed and thought about sharing a hotel room with him.

right now, i just wanted starbucks.