17• I'd Still Be A Nobody

GRAYSON:
there i was sitting on the couch wondering if my twin brother was okay. Maddie was pissed off at me and i didn't blame her. i just wanted her to know how i felt before she left tomorrow. i guess i already screwed that up.

i decided to chill and calm down—try not to worry, i guess—it was hard though.

i grabbed the remote and turned on the TV. there was nothing on television so i figured i'd just put on some Netflix. so i did.

i clicked the 'search' button, looked up Ridiculousness—mine and Ethan's favorite show—and started to watch it.

not too long after, the front door swung open. i spun around, facing Maddie and a very hurt Ethan.

i closed my eyes tightly in shame and opened them
back up.

"E, i'm sorry, bro." i said, sincerely.

he furrowed his eyebrows. "for what?"

i looked Maddie then back to him in confusion.

Maddie shook her head. she pointed to Ethan, shook her head again, and pointed to her head. i guess that was sign language for: he doesn't remember.

"i'm sorry i couldn't be there." was all i said.

Ethan shrugged. "you're fine, dude. don't worry about it. Maddie just said that we were talking and i tripped backwards."

he doesn't remember the kiss, i thought.

"yeah. we were pretty terrified." i sighed.

Maddie looked at me in disappoint. i knew she was still having a hard time pondering why i would ever beat up my twin.

"wait...Gray, what happened to you?" Ethan asked in confusion.

i opened my mouth but nothing came out. i knew what had happened. i punched Ethan so he punched me back a few times. i forgot about me being cut up.

"he fell." Maddie said. why was she covering for me? she could've just told Ethan that i got jealous and pushed him down a hill.

Ethan laughed and said, "we are some clumsy people."

i let out a fake laugh as Maddie headed for the door.

"i gotta go home, guys." she was on the verge of tears and i knew what this meant. this was the last time she was going to see us. her flight leaves early in the morning.

"what? why?" Ethan asked.

oh God, please say he didn't forget Maddie was leaving.

"my flight leaves tomorrow." Maddie said.

Ethan looked down.
"oh, yeah. you're leaving. forgot..."

Maddie took a deep breath, walking over to Ethan.
"thank you." she said. "if it wasn't for you throwing that baseball to my face, i wouldn't be where i am today. i'd still be a nobody."

she wrapped Ethan in a big hug. she doesn't know,
i thought.

"of coarse, Maddog. i'll miss you." Ethan whispered in her ear.

"i'll miss you too."
a tear fell from her eye as she pulled away from the hug and looked in my direction. "bye, Gray."

i looked down and back at her. "bye, Madison."

i wanted to hug her.
i needed to.
i needed her and i needed her now.
she's all i've ever wanted.
i want to wrap my arms around her and tell her that she's safe here.
that she doesn't need to go back to Michigan to live with that witch.
i wanted our lips to meet.
i wanted them to move in harmony.
she needs to know that i needed her.
she needs to know that i'm here for her.
she needs to know i love her.
i'm afraid it was too late for that.

she took a deep breath, fighting the tears. she turned around and walked out the door, shutting it behind her.

i was still sitting on the couch. that's when the tears started forming in my eyes and making things blurry.

"damn it!" i screamed, throwing the remote across the room.

Ethan walked over as fast as he could with his crutches so sit next to me.

"hey, hey, hey." he said. he patted my back. "it's not your fault."

i looked at him in disbelief. "it's not my fault?! are you blind, of coarse it's my fault!" i grabbed the pillow closest to me and buried my face in it.

it was ten o'clock and i needed to get to bed. if i could sleep. i probably couldn't.

i could tell that Ethan was crying too. he hated seeing me like this.

"goodnight..." i whispered, leaving the couch. i walked upstairs and crashed onto my bed. as soon as my head hit the pillow, i was out.
————
A/N
hey guysss. so i hope y'all liked this chapter. what did Grayson mean earlier in the 27th paragraph "she doesn't know."? what doesn't Maddie know? read more to find out!!