But that night, they were genuinely behaving like Jesus told them to. And that's the part about Christmas that I love even if it used to be a kind of sad time for me even before it became really sad for me.

We knew we weren't going to get what other kids got. But the feels were still there in the air. People seemed happier and nicer. And we needed all the "nice" as we could get.

Reverend Dawkins was handling the festivities that night. There were a couple of pastors and a few deacons who handled the "head man" duties for things because it was a huge church. THE church, for Black folks in town. They'd say it with pride, members would, if you asked them what church they went to.

That's a big question in Tucson, among the Black folks. It tells them everything they need to know, the church you go to. Or they think it does.

Dawkins was the younger of the pastors, sort of in training to take over when the old man left. He sort of looks like one of those Black guys on TV. A sportscaster or a game show host. Very handsome, lots of teeth, perfect voice for it, too. Not the deep bass like the other pastor, but smooth jazz radio style, you know? The ladies loved it.

he was glad handing loud and proud as people headed into the skating rink. And all the little mommies headed right for him, with their kids in tow, so nobody could accuse them of flirting or anything. Didn't fool anybody, of course, but you were supposed to act like it did.

When he saw me, he lit up like one of the decorated trees and said, "Well, God is good! How you feelin', Bae Boy? You look fine."

Even at church I couldn't get away from that name. Aisha's fault. Totally.

I shook with my good arm—I'd put the other in a sling once Kendall and I got in the sedan—and said, "I feel fine. Glad to be back—this is Kendall, by the way."

He gave Kendall a wink and said, "Hearts will be broken tonight! But it's good to see 'im. We were afraid he wouldn't make it this year."

Kendall smiled and said, "The decorations are amazing!"

And I hadn't actually noticed, but they really had laid it on thick. Maybe too thick.

All ten big pine trees they'd planted in two rows that ran down either side of the building had those nets of lights laid on them. So did the cactuses and whatnot. And there were all kinds of Santas, nutcracker soldiers, reindeer, elves and illuminated candy canes and things hiding in bushes or setting right along the walk way and the front lawn.

There were even some of those moving statues that little kids kept running up to and then screaming and running away from, on purpose, whenever they did their thing. That really cracked me up. They were having a blast, the little ones.

So the Reverend said, "Oh, the ladies got the Christmas spirit this year for sure. We had a little extra to spend for once, so they went all out!"

A whole bunch of little guys nearly ran us over right when he said that, but a couple of them turned and said they were sorry while still running.

And Kendall said, "I remember when I used to get excited about Christmas."

"You don't now?" I asked her.

"I will this time," she said.

And the Reverend gave us the same smile everybody else had been and said, "Well, I think I'm gonna sneak on away from here right about now. Go get them skates on and show 'em how it's done, son! Waitin' for you in there!"

And as he left to greet some other folks, she said, "Life of the party, huh?"

"Yeah, we clown up a storm in there, me and the gang."