Chapter Fifteen

"What did I do?" Virgil snapped at the figure. "What the hell did you make me do?!"

"This castle was made especially for people like you, Virgil," he said, amusement in his voice. "People like you, who are monsters. They learned what you must learn: that the world doesn't want you here. Either be feared, or be killed. They hid this place when they had to flee, but you just awakened it again."

There was a deafening screech from the distance that made Virgil cover his ears with a gasp. When it faded, he turned back to the figure. "W-What was that?"

"A castle has its guardians," he replied with a deep laugh. Virgil got terrified chills as he did so. "They're a little overexcited."

The dark prince got to his feet and rushed the balcony, forgetting about the storm he'd created. A gasp escaped his lips as he looked at the black swirling clouds above him, purple lightning illuminating them. He looked down at his shaking hands as raindrops landed on them. The skin was turning black as his nails started sharpening. His breathing was labored as the rain fell harder. Thunder rumbled overhead as he stumbled backwards.

"S-Stop it," he said, clenching his hands and closing his eyes. "Why can't I-I control this?!"

The figure smirked as Virgil started to cry. He moved forward, placing a hand on his shoulder. He flinched at the coldness of it. "G-Get away from me," he muttered.

"I can help you, Virgil," he said, his voice surprisingly gentle. It made him look up at the figure. "I can teach you to control it."

The dark prince's eyes were wide, feeling conflicted. He sounded truthful and trustworthy, but he didn't know if he could listen to him. "W-What?" he asked softly. "Why should I trust you? You're the r-reason I lost control at the party!"

"Because you weren't going to ever learn to control it if you kept it hidden," the figure replied. "Even Prince Roman couldn't have helped you because you never told him. Hiding your powers has only led to pain, and your fear has been your biggest enemy. If you continue to fear your power, it will only lead to pain and death. Allow me to help you."

The figure offered Virgil his misty hand. He hesitated, looking from it to his shadowy face and back down. Sucking in a breath, he placed his hand in his. The figure gripped it tightly, and Virgil felt a surge of energy flow through his veins. He gasped and his eyes glazed over, turning purple.

"Virgil, relax," the figure said, his voice echoing in the dark prince's mind. "Don't fight your magic."

He tried to listen to him, letting out a breath as he let his shoulders loosen. Virgil could feel the energy within him and in the air around him. He could see the shadows and feel the electricity crackle through the room. He smiled, letting out a breathy laugh as he felt more in control than ever.

"Good, now concentrate on making a strand of lightning between your hands," the figure said, taking his hand away.

Virgil opened his eyes to look down at his hands. They were still black, but his nails had returned to normal. He took a deep breath, picturing the purple electricity between his hands, trying his best to imagine it-

"Virgil, you did it!"

The dark prince hadn't realized his eyes had closed again until he opened them to see the lightning crackling between his hands. He smiled, moving his hands around before pressing them together to make it disappear. He looked up at the figure, breathless.

"Show me more."

Roman looked up in shock as he realized it had stopped raining. His gaze fell back on Thorn, who'd brought up a good question.

"I have no idea what it was, just that it wanted to kill me, and that it came from that," he said, pointing at the castle in the distance.

The two of them looked up and gasped in shock, having not seen it. "Where did that come from?" Luis asked, scared to know the answer.

"Luis, I'm pretty sure we already know where it came from," the Prince of Cliste said with a heavy sigh. "That has to be where Virgil is."

The three of them fell silent as they stared at the dark castle towering in the distance. Roman didn't know what to say, or what they should do next. They needed to find Virgil, that much was certain. However, if they headed for the palace, they'd probably end up running into more of whatever that thing was. They had gotten lucky they were able to scare away the one that attacked Roman.

"What's the plan?" Thorn asked, breaking the silence. The princes looked between each other, thinking.

"We should head towards the palace," the younger said. "I think the three of us should be able to get there without any major issues. We can grab Virgil, go home, and figure out how to stop this storm."

"While trying to avoid being killed by whatever the hell those things are, and keeping the royals from murdering your brother," Thorn added sarcastically.

Roman looked down at his hands, feeling guilt and anxiety overriding any reason. "What if he doesn't want to see me?" he murmured. The other two looked at him in shock. "I didn't- I wasn't there for him when he needed help the most. I should've figured it out before he got this bad! His reclusive nature increasing, his anxiety getting worse, his constant need for fresh air when dealing with crowds, his shaking and how he was always looking at his hands- I should've known... I wouldn't blame him if he didn't want to see me again..."

Luis rushed forward, putting a hand on his shoulder. "Roman, you can't blame yourself for his secret. He kept it from you because he was scared he'd hurt you, or that you'd be disgusted with him," the young prince explained, making him open his mouth to interject. "I know, you would never, I know Roman, but that's what he thought, and he wanted as few people to know as possible. I'm sorry we didn't tell you; we should've."

He paused as the prince took in that information with a small nod. "And Roman? If there's anyone on this planet he wants to see right now, it's undoubtably you."