Chapter 24

Mia almost seemed sad as he gave his final reason for heading home.

"Are you sure you want to follow through with this?" She asked. She folded her arms across her chest, her head hanging low.

There was some hesitation. Was leaving really worth putting his life in danger? Or was it the same as fighting for his life? Wilson didn't have enough time to change his mind.

"Of course, I would love to help you," he lied.

What he would love to do would be go home.

"But we don't know anything about this. You're all experienced in this. We aren't; heck, we'll probably just slow you down." Wilson shrugged.

Mia and Argo shared a glance.

He hoped that was enough to convince the woman. It wasn't his best argument. He just needed the lie and the argument to work the one time.

Mia finally said, waving a hand in defeat, "Whatever. Listen, I can lead you out. Get Emmy and tell her you can go."

She lowered her head and left, mumbling about some troubles Wilson didn't understand.

"Argo-" He started.

"I have a mission to get ready for." Argo took in a breath and straightened out his collar. His eyes were narrowed and focused yet he almost sounded relieved. He probably thought it had been. His eyes turned to slits and the halfling moved on.

"Argo, I just want to say-"

"Don't say anything," the halfling sneered, "Just go already."

And with that, they did.

000

They left a quarter after midnight.

Argo hurrying off in one direction while Wilson and Emmy took a separate tunnel. No final words or acknowledgements were exchanged.

From the cellars of one of the stone buildings, Wilson climbed onto the streets.

His face paint cracked and his eyes wandering the ancient architecture. Orange stone aarchways soared over them. The buildings were short, muddy, brick made. A few were broken apart, barely three walls surrounding the insides and a tarp for a roof.

A stray, malnourished dog barked at them before bolting away.

It was burning up even in the dark. Especially in the thick cloaks that Mia had leant him. The cheers of the nearby arena sounded far from them.

He guessed the fights continued on from yesterday.

The only thing missing from the crowds shouts were the hellish chimes of the bell.

A sudden hole formed in his stomach that Wilson couldn't quite explain. He pushed the feeling far from him, knowing now wasn't the time to be fearful.

Wilson, standing to his feet and brushing off his cloak, helped Emmy upward as well.

The mind reader walked with a new kick in her step, almost bold like. She shuffled her robes back into place and flipped the hood over to hide her red hair.

Wilson did the same, the hood blocked out some of the burning sun.

Mia's instructions echoed through his head.

'Follow the streets to the edge of town. Take one of the flying boats on the edge of town and do not hesitate to get away. You'll miss your only opportunity.'

Wilson pushed the cover back onto the cellar, motioning Emmy to follow him.

As they trekked in the heat, Wilson was afraid people would notice who they were. Hopefully his tanned skin would be good enough to pass off. And if it wasn't? Wilson avoided overthinking about the subject.