Chapter 16

Allura was an oasis.
Or built into or under one at least.

Long pillars of stone kept the stone in place. It spread out, a river surrounding the castle town. Even the ruined castle pointed to the opened sinkhole was draped in color.

Bright, colorful drapes covered the streets, providing shade for the townsfolk.

At least he thought they did. People cheered as the dragons swooped lower, hovering over the buildings. He couldn’t help but stare in awe. This was where all of the citizens were hiding.

This was truly Allura.

He clung to the bars and stared down, the dragons flying past the color and glows and cheers. Instead it flew to a bowl shaped center in the city’s side.

Long chains that were connected from the bottom of the rocky ceiling hovered over the open arena which was draped in shadows.

A few had other cages hanging from the chains; like birds in a zoo. It filled up most of the city’s side, a dark shadow casting over it.

It took Wilson a few moments before he realized the dragon was headed directly toward the chains. The dragon hovered by one of the empty chains, hooking on the metal cage.

Wilson grabbed onto Emmy, cringing as the chain shifted under the weight.

The other dragons splitting off toward the castle side. Wilson watched the dragon rider fly away, perching their dragon on the other side of the cavern, back through the cavernous entrance.

Wilson turned to Emmy.
“Where are we?”

Allura had died out centuries ago, right?

“Allura, I think,” Wilson confirmed, standing up to peer at the edge of the bowl. “Just not the one I read about.”

Emmy leaned further into her corner, blinking curiously at the other cages. The people in them were battered, a few of the prisoners sleeping with chains around their limbs.

A halfling with a muzzle paced angrily in their cage. Long purple gashes split down their exposed arms.
The sides of the bowl filled with people, Wilson ducking as a stone clanked against the cage side.

They yelled, eager for entertainment.
“What's going on?” Emmy asked in a whisper.

“Ladies, gentlemen, friends, and enemies-” a spokesman announced, arms held out as he leaned over the balcony of a smaller, crumbling tower.

A dark bell hung at the top.

A still dragon sat next to him, eyes closed and asleep.

“Welcome to the arena! Here you will prove your strength, in more ways than one!” He yelled.

“Added onto our list is from the Scorpion's Paradise, our most infamous spot. A shapeshifter, four demons, a mind reader and- what's this- a human?”

The crowds broke down in a fit of laughter.

“Well, let's see which competitor goes first,” the spokesman hissed again, humming loudly as he circled the edge of the arena walls.

The arena became quiet.

“Let's go with that fellow!” Wilson praised when it wasn't him.

There was a clatter in the cage next to them, the metal bars on the underside flying open, a humanoid figure falling the ground.

They hit the ground with a thud, scrambling to sit up and blink wildly at the crowds.

The crowds screamed.