Shots fired

Before I start I wanted to say that the next couple of chapters will have mentions of a school shooting. In light of current events I wanted to write about this and shed some light on the topic. I have never been in a school shooting, I'm Canadian so I never touched an actual gun. This is not meant to offend anybody. That's all. I hope you like it!!'

"So where are we going?" Everly asked curiously as Lucas pulled into a small diner parking lot. "Diner? Classy." She joked causing him to giggle in response.

"Come on let's go inside." He said wrapping his arm around her slender shoulders and guiding her inside. "This place has the best food in town, you'll love it guaranteed!" He beamed as the young pair sat into a booth. They finished up the delicious food quickly and simply sat and talked for nearly two hours, trying to learn as much as they could about each other as they could in the short amount of time they had. "So, have you ever had a boyfriend before?" He asked slurping down his milkshake. Everly shook her head 'no' in response. "Come on a girl like you, I mean how? You're beautiful and funny!"

"Okay, okay, what about you? Any crazy exes I should watch out for?" Everly joked as their hands connected in the middle of the table.

"Nope, never had a girlfriend before, hence the no exes."

"Well, I'll see what I can do to change that!" She smiled standing and pressing a kiss to his stubbly cheek. "I have to get home or I'll miss curfew and then my dad will most likely kill you." She said sadly as he put some money onto the table and connected by the hands the youngsters walked out together. When they arrived at the Halstead home Lucas walked Everly to the door. He gave her a peck goodnight and left.

"So how was the date?" Noah asked sarcastically. "Was it everything and more?" He said in a higher then normal voice.

"Shut up Noah." She replied storming into her room annoyed at her less considerate brother. At the sound of argument Oliver walked slowly behind his sister wrapping his knuckles around the door and knocking on it as he opened the latch.

"It's just me, are you okay?" Oliver asked sweetly. He sat down on her bed and wrapped his strong, protective arms around her. "Ev?"

"I'm fine, he's just such a dick sometimes." She answered sniffling into her younger brothers shoulder.

"Yeah I know, but somehow we still love him." He joked and gave his sister a kiss, placing it in her auburn hair which exactly matched their fathers. "You should go to sleep, gotta be rested for school." Oliver said leaving Everly alone to change her clothes and then go to sleep.

The next morning was the same as it always was. The twins ate their breakfast in a rush. All three of the older kids took care of Sophia while their parents got ready for work. Owen drove Everly to school while the twins rode with their parents and barely made it into class before the first bell. The three oldest Halsteads all attended the same high school and saw each other in the halls frequently.

Everly was on her way to the library to greet the twins before last period just like always. She got to the book filled room and saw her younger brothers studying hard with Owen who was standing above them trying to help them figure out a math problem. She hopped into the library and gave each brother a kiss on the cheek which they quickly wiped off.

The sound of gunshots filled the halls, causing the Halsteads the jump from their seats. Immediately the boys sat in front of Everly in hopes of protecting her.

"What the hell was that?" She cried clutching the back of Olivers shirt.

"We gotta hide, come on let's go." Noah said grabbing his sister's arm and dragging her towards a small hiding place, behind a bookshelf. More bullets were heard spraying the hallway and shattering glass all around them. Noah stood up bravely and peered into the halls in hopes of spotting a familiar face. Instead his body was hit with two bullets knocking him to the ground.

"NOAH!"