12.

i am on my way home from my shift at the coffee shop, as i drive home i remember a certain thing today. i don't know why it's on my mind, but it wasn't normal.

she sounded so familiar and i couldn't think of where i had heard her voice before... her soft voice that tends to stutter, i just know this wasn't a normal feeling to me.

i'm never supposed to care for others, this isn't me. i'm not a asshole but why should i treat people so good when i get nothing in return, why do i care for someone who doesn't know i exist?

"ring...ring..ring" i shoot my phone a glare and grab it hesitantly.

"hello?." i answer into the phone.

"h-hi brad." i hear the same soft voice, and my heart flutters.

stop it, Bradley.

"..hi y-you know my full names Bradley."

"would you rather have me call you that instead of Brad then? I thought we were friends." i hear her voice sadden and i can't help but smile.

"it was just possibly some useful information to get to know me better, call me brad. i don't mind." i clarify

"well... brad, what'd you do today?" she asks

".. i had work, which sucked... my boss is overly obsessed with me and tries to touch me, stupid stuff like that."

"that's not cool, i wish you would stick up for yourself." Wendy's soft voice echoes into my ear

...wait. she just quoted me.

i chuckle into the phone "i should, you're right."

"i'm a wise woman." i hear a soft giggle, a giggle that she needed for a long time.

"how you holding up, Wendy?"

"not gonna lie, it's hard as hell now. i'm on my own but it's getting better because... of you." she hesitates and i bulge my eyes.

my stomach reacts to her words before my heart does and in this moment, i wish i could hug her and hold her and tell her it's gonna be okay...she's not as far as i thought she was.

"we're making progress."

"can i ask you when did you move out?"
she hesitates

oh no i feared telling this story.
"well... my mom, Kait was in a hypnotize. by my step father, Jason. I never had connections with my father, after she met Jason he stopped contacting me and her. i was overwhelmed by my step father, always being drunk. i would sleep with my door locked because he would be on the other side, trying to get in. making threats to me as my mom was so blindsided to notice. i feared him until one night i got fed up with it, packed my things, left through my window. i took everything i could fit in my car and i left. That was two years ago, now i'm living in Downtown Seattle, this is my new life. I just wished i had my father."

"... i-i am so sorry. i know how it feels." she apologizes

"why must you apologize for things you never do wrong? you know how this feels?" i despite in anger a bit.

"i'm apologizing because i've been there and it doesn't feel nice, and someone like you needs closure. even if it was 2 years ago. i know what it feels like to fear going to bed, i know how it feels to be ignored by your mom who's in a daze, too busy to notice that this is happening. i know how it feels." she reminds me in a huff

".. i know. thank you.."

"why thank you?" she asks curiously

"for helping me." i state

"i want to...and you said you lived in Seattle ?"

i give a confused face into the phone "y-yeah, why?"

"b-because, i seen you today, Brad."