Going Back - Part 16

July 1940

Alex's POV

When the man came to the door, I knew exactly why he was there. It was time for me to go back into the action. He had asked me how I was handling everything after what happened at Dunkirk, and I told him I was fine. He told me I had to go for another physical before shipping out.

After he left, I knew I was going to have to tell Y/N tonight that I'd be leaving. I knew this day would come, but not that it was here, I was scared. I was scared of never seeing Y/N because the odds of me making it back home alive were slim. There was no way I'd be able to luck out after surviving at Dunkirk.

I walked back into the house and saw Y/N standing in the kitchen tending to the kettle and the toast.

Shit, I forgot about those.

"I'm sorry you had to get that," I told her. "Why don't you go back to bed?"

"You're going back aren't you?" She whispered staring down at the counter. "Don't deny it, I saw you outside with him."

I sighed nodding. "At the end of the month, I'm being shipped out."

She nodded as she poured the water from the kettle into the two teacups. "We knew this would happen eventually."

"I know," I whispered sadly.

"You have to promise me you'll come back," she said looking at him.

I couldn't lie to her. I couldn't make that promise and I refused to make a promise to her that I knew I couldn't keep.

"Y/N-" I sighed.

"No, you have to promise me," she said firmly. "You have to come back to us..."

I looked at her confused. "Us?"

She took a step away from the counter and placed her hand on her stomach before looking me square in the eye.

"I'm pregnant," she said softly.

My eyes widened as I stared at her and then looked down at her stomach. "I uh... you're... uh.... what?" I forced out while trying to make my way over to the couch.

I felt dizzy and sick to my stomach.

"I'm having a baby," Y/N stated walking over towards me. "That's why I've been sick these past few days."

"How do-how do you know? Are you sure?" I asked her.

"Not entirely sure, but I'm almost positive. I know all the signs and symptoms of pregnancy and plus I feel different," she said.

I had no clue how to respond to this. Weren't most people ecstatic when they found out they were going to be a father? I didn't feel ecstatic or even happy, to be honest. I felt confused, scared, nervous, and regret.

"Wow... I-I uh...  don't know what to say," I whispered.

"I know this is a shock to you," Y/N said. "It's s shock to me too, but-"

"I'm leaving," I realized. "I'm leaving and I don't know when I'll be back if I'll even be back. You'll be all alone..."

"I didn't exactly think about that," she sighed sadly.

"I have to take a physical before I'm able to ship out, I'll go and tell them I can't go," I told her.

"Alex, you and I both know you can't do that," she shook her head. "If the Army found out you lied, you'd be in worse off shape then not going."