Dunkirk Phase 2 (#1) Part 9

28 May 1940

Alex's POV

Another sleepless night had passed as the sun rose into the sky. Most nights since I've been fighting in this war, I had slept for more than a couple of hours at a time, but last night I was worried about Y/N. She was wrapped in my arms as I tried to keep her warm from the cold air. Anytime my eyes closed, I quickly opened them again to make sure nothing happened to her.

As much as I didn't want to be apart from Y/N again, I had to find a way to at least get her off of this fucking beach and to somewhere safe. The longer she was here with me, the odds of her getting hurt or worse were higher and higher. I looked down at her sleeping figure and wondered how she was able to sleep in all of this. I sighed and kissed her forehead.

I kept telling myself that if we both make it out of this place alive, I'd make it up to her. I'd love her and be with her. Hell, I'd even marry her, if she'd have me. But I couldn't think about that now, not until I knew she was long gone and safe.

She would be my first priority and then I'd worry about me. Y/N began to stir in my arms. I looked down at her again and she slowly opened her eyes.

"Alex," she whispered. "You're here, you're real. I thought it was all a dream."

I frowned. "No, it's not a dream. I'm really here," I whispered gently caressing her face.

She smiled and looked into my eyes. "I'm glad," she whispered.

"I wish I could say the same, love," I whispered. "I'm glad you're with me, but I wish it wasn't here. It's too dangerous for you."

"But we're together," she said.

"I'd much rather we be together in our warm home in London making breakfast in bed for us," I laughed.

"Our home? And you cook?" She giggled.

I blushed. "I'd love to share a home with you and I can cook some toast and eggs," I joked.

"I'm sure they're wonderful," she smiled. "Maybe one day I'll get to try them."

"You will," I whispered. "I'm going to make sure of it."

**

Y/N's POV

The day went by and all we could do was wait. Planes still flew overhead and we could hear the sounds of bullets being shot out of guns in the distance. Alex did all he could to keep me both warm and safe. There was very little food for everyone to eat on the beach, so what little food there was Alex gave to me.

Being with him again was amazing. It felt just like those last few months we were together before our break up. I knew I should have been upset with him still, but knowing how close both of us were to facing death, I couldn't be. All I wanted to do was cherish this time I had with him in case it was our last few moments.

"Oh, well what do we have here?" A soldier walked up to us. "You've been holding out on us soldier, why don't you share that pretty little nurse with the rest of us," he smirked at me. "Nothing keeps us warm like the naked body of a woman."

Alex's arms unwrapped from around me and he pushed himself up off from the sand.

"What the fuck did you just say?" He said pushing the soldier.

"You heard me," he smirked. "Why should you get to have all the fun, huh? We all could die tomorrow, we should be able to feel a woman before we're all gunned down."

"You better get used to your hand, mate, because you're not touching one inch of her," Alex threatened. "Because if you ever think about touching her, you won't have to worry about the Jerry's killing you because I'll fucking kill you myself," he said pushing him again. "Now, fuck off."