A Date Between A Dame and Solider (#1) - Part 4

13 April 1939

Y/N's POV

"Well, Alex, it appears your stitches have healed rather nicely," the doctor told him as he examined Alex's wound. "Y/N, since you stitched him up, I think it's best if you do the honors of taking them out."

"Of course," I nodded.

"I'll be back shortly to check on things once you're finished," the doctor said to me before leaving the exam room.

"Um, it uh, it might be easier and more comfortable if you lied down," I said.

He nodded swinging his legs on top of the bed and laying down.

"Am I gonna need the cloth this time?" He asked.

"I don't believe so," I laughed. "You'll only feel a light pinch every so often."

He nodded. I gathered the supplies and went over to him.

"I know you're not exactly a chatter, but it might help taking your mind off of what I'm doing," I said.

"How long have you been a nurse?" He asked.

"Well, funny you should ask that," I laughed. "I actually finished nursing school a few months ago before I started working here."

"Really?" He asked as his eyes widening.

"Don't worry," I said quickly. "I know what I'm doing, promise."

"No, sorry, I'm not worried," he said. "I'm just shocked is all. You seemed like you've been doing this for a while is all."

I took the scissors and slowly starting snipping away at the thread to release the stitches. "In a way I have, I guess," I said. "When I was younger, I helped out the children in my neighborhood whenever they'd scrape their knee or something."

"Is that why you decided to become a nurse?" He asked.

"Mostly," I nodded. "I also knew I wanted to help people and heal them. Nursing seemed like the best option to do that."

I slowly start pulling the remaining thread with the tweezers. "What about you? Why did you decide to join the Army?"

"Why does anyone decide to join the army and willingly put their lives on the line?" He said.

"For the love of their country? Or to keep their loved ones safe?" I stated.

"Or to get away from something worse than being shot at by the enemy?" He whispered.

I stopped what I was doing and tried to think of what to say next, but he beat me to it.

"Or for the glory," he smirked. "I mean the only way to become a war hero is to fight in the war. I joined so one day I hope to see my name in the paper and have all the birds gushing over me like they already do."

I huffed at that and went back to removing the last of the stitches before cleaning the area. "Surely there are other ways to do that than going over to war," I said.

"Maybe, but I didn't bother to find out," he said. "Plus, dames sure do love the uniform."

"Mhm," I said applying some ointment. "And how does your girlfriend feel all of these dames drooling over your uniform."

He laughed. "She doesn't give a fuck because she doesn't exist. I don't have a girlfriend."

"Well, I guess that's a good thing," I said grabbing a bandage. "Then she doesn't have to worry about them."