Stuck

I'm really sorry that happen to you while I'm away...

You sighed your eyes tired from the lack of sleep you'd had over the last few days, John had been keeping away from his computer and you'd managed to keep your eyes down low whenever Janet or Pete lingered their watchful glare over you.

You waited for the dots to stop and for him to continue writing: thrumming back and forth over their spot on the screen as if to mock your need to get home and try and fail to sleep.

You rubbed away the sting in your eyes checking the clock, if you waited any later than half four you were at risk of catching Matt in the lift. You imagined how ironic the thought was, a month ago and you'd be glad to be sharing the same breath as him, now he was a solidification of how screwed up your life was.

Your mind flashed back to the day you'd called Kylo's mobile, after finding his number on the universities website. The painfully long time it took him to answer and the conversation that followed those ominous bells:

"Hello?"

"Hel-lo Kylo?"

"What do you want?" his voice had been irritated as soon as you'd fumbled those few words to him, "how did you get this number?"

"I just wanted to know how you were...and-"

He cut you off bluntly, painfully quick, "look ____ I get it. You want what happened Saturday to be more than it was. Just sex," he confirmed it.

In two words he confirmed how much you'd felt for him that night, the tone of his voice stung your heart, like a pin straight through the centre, "I need you to leave me alone. Ben doesn't want anything to do with you either. So don't you think for all our sakes you just leave Matt alone too?"

You hadn't had the capacity to speak your mind. Your brain recovering for the sharp pain chipping its way through your ribcage.

"What did I do wrong?" You whispered hating how your voice echoed through the line.

He sighed heavily as though these weren't the words he wanted to use, as though a gun had been pointed to his head, as though they were forced, "You picked the wrong brother..." and then he had hung up.

You'd cried a lot that night to Sarah, she'd rebuked you for it, saying if you'd only tell her where they lived so she could give them a piece of her mind.

Days had past and Matt had been sending you daily texts equally as admonished and accusing. He'd thankfully avoided you at work and you'd appreciated his lack of presence.

The dots stopped their rhythm and a new message appeared from John, You've worked really hard this week. You always do. While ever I work here your job is safe and you don't have to worry about Pete. Speaking of which him and Janet left ages ago. Get yourself home and good luck with your exam tomorrow.

You smiled upon reading it, the first genuine one in a while and typed a reply, I appreciate your support John. Thanks for the luck I'll be off now. Enjoy the sun.

You checked your clock once more, you'd been day dreaming for a while it was quarter to five now, you cursed fumbling over your desk to switch everything off and grab things for tomorrow. Once you were satisfied you made a dart for the lift. Pressing the button wondering whether to just take the stairs, but you knew the thought was irrational you couldn't run forever.

Besides the central glass stair case would just mean more eyes on you and since your run in with Janet and Pete you felt as though eyes followed you around the room. You let your eyes fall to the floor of the elevator and quietly pushed your feet in, there were two people in the corner and now you were too afraid to even look.