Numbers

You'd really expected Matt to have taken you on a date by now and if it wasn't for your stupid brain telling you to wait for him to arrange it you'd have asked him eight times already and it had only been six days. It was Friday now and despite your four lunch outings with him he had acted partially as though your kiss hadn't happened. It put you on edge; your brain wasn't wired in ways that allowed it to block out the over thinking; in fact it was quite the opposite. You didn't understand his disinterest some days, most of the time you'd been out at lunch he'd been showing you his comic drawings and you'd shown him your sketches, very reluctantly.

If Matt hadn't asked yet his kiss was one of three things, a dream that felt so real you were sure you were in the inception movie, an absolute fluke that only happened because the fans made him dizzy enough to latch onto you or the worst one of all a genuine kiss that he'd fully intended to dump on you but an after thought that made him rethink his stupidity. Your brain liked to push that one through your head on the hour and it had so far been enough to keep your questioning at bay.

Today was different, for a start college wasn't on this week which meant a day of suffering Janet. You'd happily caught the bus to work after your car was at the garage for a service it wasn't a big deal you were quite happy picking it up the next day.

You'd been so excited to see Matt on the day you wouldn't normally - opting to even make tea in the morning to catch him as you knew you'd find him there - but today you'd soon found out really wasn't your day.

After Matt hadn't showed for tea you'd text him, and taken the lonely lift journey up to your floor. You walked over to your desk Janet shuffling papers, her wiry hair even more untamed than usual, the grey strands reflecting under the light over head.

You looked to find John but he wasn't in his seat, though not uncommon for him to get in after ten an inkling fell to the pit of your stomach. You sat in your seat biting the bullet like every morning to acknowledge Janet's existence in not just the room but your life in general.

"Morning," you said as enthusiastically as you could muster.

"Hello," she chirped in a shrill unneeded tone, "John's not in today. Decided to fly out to France for the month."

"Oh...okay" was all you managed before you turned on your laptop to block her out.

It was mid afternoon and you'd managed to persuade yourself not to text Matt again, he clearly wasn't in work, but his silence had gotten you a little worried.

"Oh ___" Janet sighed rather loudly in a sarcastic tone.

You regarded her seriousness, surely she hadn't needed to say it so loudly people at least eight feet away had heard.

"Umm what di-"

Before you could even finish your sentence she had cut you off, and though you'd not thought it possible, she'd somehow managed to both whisper it and shout it at the same time, "You see these numbers?" She was round your side of the desk now bending over excruciatingly slow to show you the red binder in her hands.

You nodded in response dumbfounded by her audacity to show you up.

"Well what number is that?" She sighed impatiently rocking back on her heels.

"Eight-hundred and twenty nine?" You queried as though it wasn't the most obvious question someone had asked you since you'd left Primary school.

She flipped the page in a swift motion, your eyes adjusting to the page before ~ eight-hundred and ninety two ~ you smiled relieved you hadn't done something far worse, "ah okay I'll get that sorted right away, my mis-"