That was supposed to be our waltz

The sound of a gun went off with an echoing bang. I saw the bullet hit Sherlock's chest in slow motion as I lunged forward and tried as hard as I could to put myself in its path. It didn't work. I reached Sherlock just in time to catch him as he fell. I sunk to my knees and cradled his head in my lap. Tears formed in my eyes and then began streaming down my face. As a doctor, I knew he didn't have long; four minutes at most. With one hand I applied pressure to the wound and used the other one to hold Sherlock. God dammit, I love this man. Why had I ever gone out with Mary? I began to wonder, but I already knew. It was a distraction from Sherlock. If I busied myself with Mary maybe it wouldn't be so obvious that he had left. But of course it was, I felt the heartache every single day. As if he could decipher which train of though I was on he started to hum the waltz he wrote for Mary and I. I was more than a mess now, I was sobbing, shaking, applying pressure to the gunshot, holding Sherlock, and telling him it was going to be okay all at the same time. He leaned his head into me, that one gesture was his way of telling me it was ok and not to worry, everything was going to be fine. But of course it wasn't. As he was humming I managed to say "That was supposed to be our waltz." It came out broken though because of the sobs. Using his last breath he looked up at me with big, green blue eyes that were rapidly fading; and he whispered: "I know." Before he left me to my own devices, to drown in my feelings. "I love you Sherlock." I leaned down and kissed his head, tears dripping onto his pale skin. I couldn't bear to tell him goodbye, that would mean I'd have to accept he was actually gone, no longer here with me. I wouldn't ever say goodbye and I'd never stop believing in my Sherlock Holmes.

(So again, a short one, but seems to be all I can really write but oh well. I tried, but what can I say? Anyways if you could tell me what you all thought that'd be great! Until next time,

~Em)