Chapter 55- It's You

D.O couldn't sleep.

He was staring blankly up at the ceiling but he couldn't see anything without his contacts or his glasses. It was night time now and D.O was lying down on the futon, waiting for sleep to come to him. He had tried counting sheep and singing himself a lullaby but none of those methods worked. And how would they, when Nami was right beside him?

Nami murmured as she slept soundly, her body inching closer to his as her arm lay wrapped across his chest.

He gulped. So much for taking the sofa... he thought to himself.

A few hours ago, Nami had come into the bedroom and asked if they could talk for a while. It was dark in the living room and she had gotten scared because of the dancing shadows that were being projected through the windows outside. D.O guessed that something about sleeping alone in an unfamiliar place triggered Nami's phobia of the dark.

Not wanting to leave her scared, he insisted that she lie down on the futon next to him. She was sceptical at first but he had reassured her that nothing would happen between them. And as much as it stung him, he had said, "We're friends, right? Nothing can happen between friends."

Eventually, Nami agreed and they spoke for a bit before she requested for him to sing her a lullaby and he did. Well, it wasn't exactly a lullaby but, it was one of the sweetest songs he knew. It was their song, 'Lucky'.

D.O knew it was an odd song to sing but something about the lyrics resonated with him as he sang it to Nami. He hoped that little by little, Nami would come to look his way and notice his feelings for her. But as he reached the end of the song, he saw that Nami had fallen asleep, her head resting comfortably on his arm. She sighed peacefully, her face showing a comforted expression as she soundly slept.

In the dim light, D.O's eyes followed the outlines of Nami's face and took in her features. He couldn't believe how close she was. And since she was using his arm as a pillow, he couldn't move away and sleep on the sofa. The last thing he wanted was to disturb her peaceful slumber.

"D.O-ah..." she mumbled in her sleep.

D.O froze. Did Nami just say his name in her sleep? He peered at her and his eyes could just about make out the outlines of her eyes and the curvature of her nose. She looked so defenceless. How can she be sleeping so peacefully when he was right next to her? Didn't she have any self-awareness? He could--

Shit.

D.O had to calm down. Must not think perverted thoughts. He chanted to himself, I am a gentleman. I am a gentleman.

He turned his head so that he was staring back at the ceiling. Suddenly, he thought back to what happened during dinner. With his free hand, he covered his eyes as if he could hide his embarrassment. He almost did kiss her-- he really wanted to. When he saw her close her eyes, he took it as a signal to proceed but then something in him held him back.

It was his rational self.

Thank God he still had some self-restraint because if he had kissed her, he knew that he wouldn't have been able to stop there. He couldn't hold back his feelings for her much longer. And things were especially harder for him now, that they were staying under the same roof, in the same room, in the same bed...

Oh shit.

D.O felt Nami scoot even closer to him, her leg hooking against his hip. He felt something soft pressing against his side and he had to exercise all the willpower he could muster not to think of what it was. Nami snuggled closer to him, her head facing the crook of his neck. She sighed and D.O felt her warm breath blowing against his exposed skin, causing him to shudder. The unexpected stimulation sent a tingling sensation down his body, causing heat to build up in one place he didn't want her to accidentally feel.