Chapter 66- My Dream

I was elated to receive a gold medal. No, I was thrilled. To be honest, there was no right word to describe the incredible feeling I was experiencing as I held the gold medal in my hands. This was what I've been working hard for, for the past three years. As BTS sang, my blood, sweat and tears, take it all... because I don't need them anymore. I've finally achieved my dream. I was finally a recognised judo professional.

I stared into the camera as I delivered my winning speech. And while I was doing so, I suddenly saw D.O's face in my mind's eye. I had been hiding from him for a long time and I took every measure I could, to make sure he never found me. But just this once, I wanted to reach out to him. It's been three years now. Surely, he must have moved on?

"...You know who you are."

As I joined my teammates for the Olympic festivities and celebrations, I couldn't help thinking about how far I had gotten since I came back to the UK.

When I first arrived home, I was utterly devastated at how I had left EXO behind. I knew that I had to return home someday, but I didn't expect it to happen the way it did. I thought everything would go back to the way things were but then, I discovered that Nikka was the one who had exposed me to Suji. I was mortified--Nikka had betrayed me.

Nikka and I fought that week which resulted in me ending our friendship and me quitting my job. I had been newly promoted that time, I was meant to be a regular reporter now but, I decided to give it all up: my promotion, my job, my everything. It wasn't what I wanted anymore. And if I had to see Nikka every day, I didn't think that I could ever enjoy being a reporter again.

For the first month, I was at a lost at what to do. I went back to live with my parents because I wasn't in the right mindset to do anything productive. I was jobless, friendless and utterly broke.

But suddenly, I remembered what D.O had told me when we were in WGM together: You should definitely follow your passion. And that was when I finally realised what my true passion was and what I should have done long ago: it was time for me to go pro.

It was impossible at first. I struggled to get back into shape as I trained with my old judo coach but he told me that I had kept myself in good shape despite not doing judo for the past couple of years. It seemed like practising my judo throws on Chanyeol had reminded my body of all the techniques and proper executions so, all I needed to do was polish them.

I trained daily, for the past three years, non-stop, to make up for all the time I had wasted not pursuing what I had been dreaming of doing all along. It was a gruelling three years that tested both my physical and mental capacity. I overworked myself more times than I could count and I was so close to giving up each and every time. But, each time I felt like surrendering, I remembered how EXO had kept going during their rehearsals and how they supported one another. They were a team. I had my team. And EXO was the reason why I kept going. They gave me the motivational boost I needed every time I was at my all-time low.

"Well done, Mirei!" one of my teammates congratulated me. "You did it! You got the gold!"

"Thanks, Kara" I replied, beaming.

"It was a tough match" Nazeera commented. "But you outsmarted her, you clever gal!"

My teammates crowded around me as they inspected the gold medal I wore around my neck. They had a mixture of both pride and envy in their faces.

"Let's go and take some photos with Tom Daley and Mo Farah!" Kara suggested. "I think I saw them hanging out over there!"

"Right behind you, chick" Nazeera replied. "Mirei, you comin'?"

"Yeah" I replied while smiling. "Sure, why not?"

I followed my teammates gladly as they walked ahead of me. They were wearing their Great Britain tracksuits with the lion emblem embroidered in red and blue: the proud insignia of the GB Olympic team. I felt an overwhelming sense of pride and honour to be wearing one of these tracksuits and I was delighted to have won gold for my team.