Chapter 8: Nicknames

Still, Qrow was trying to get past Jacques to get to Ironwood, so both teams had time off, especially Weiss. We all agreed to hang around Atlas, we wanted to be around other huntsmen and huntresses in training.

"Hey, wanna know something that I just remembered?" Jaune asks as we walked onto the grounds of Atlas. 

"What?" I asked, curious to know what he remembered.

"First day at Beacon Academy."

"Oh yeah! I remember!" Ruby shouts out, "I remember calling you vomit boy."

"Vomit boy?" I wonder, also trying not to laugh. 

"Well, it wasn't my fault I had problems with flight, Ruby. At least I didn't blow myself up."

"Oh, don't get started-"

"Crater face."

"Jaune!"

"Why crater face, Jaune?"

He takes a deep sigh, smiling as well, "Well, first off, we got off at Beacon and Ruby and I got lost."

"Yeah, I left Ruby alone as I went along with some friends." Yang smiles. "I didn't know she blew up on that day until she told me."

"Ruby ran into me with my dust." Weiss says, "I don't know what happened, but she sneezed and the dust exploded."

"The dust made my nose itchy!"

"That's when I came in, giving back Weiss's dust collection. Man, we were all different back then." Blake smiles.

"Well, you didn't do much for me! Jaune only helped me because he wanted friends."

"Hey, we got along, right? We're all fine now. Who did we have? Yang as the hot-headed one-"

"I'm still hot-headed!" Yang shouts loudly, we all laugh together. She admitted it as well, that's pretty brave.

"I was more of the quiet one." 

"Blake, you're still the quiet one." Weiss sternly says. "And, yes, I was someone who was very picky."

"Like an ice queen?" I ask as everyone laughs. "What?" I ask, confused.

"That was my nickname from everyone! I'm not an ice queen!"

"Well, you were..." Nora claims, "I'm still energetic and Ren being the very quiet one!"

"Nora, I'm becoming more talkative."

"Well, you're still kinda quiet..."

"So, let me get this straight... Ruby was known as Crater Face, Jaune as Vomit Boy, Weiss was Ice Queen... was that it?"

They all nod in agreement and we were greeted by an Atlas student. "Hi, are you huntsmen?" She asks as she looks at us curiously. Her uniform was clearly an Atlas Academy uniform,  white and gray in color.

"Well, we're still training to be one." Ruby says. "But we had experience as being actual huntsmen and huntresses."

"What academy are you from?"

"Beacon."

"Beacon?" Her eyes widen as we nod in response. "Wow... you came all this way from Beacon? For what reason?"

Qrow's words floated into my head, 'Don't ever say anything about our business here'

"We're here to see how well you train." I quickly say, trying to cover the silence.

"Training?"

"Since Beacon Academy fell, we've been trying to get here and see if we can train here for the time-being. Only until we can rebuild Beacon."

"Oh, I see. Well, I would say to talk to Ironwood, but no one has seen him for weeks... oh well, have a great time here."

She walks off and I sighed in relief. "Oscar, that was a close one." Jaune puts his hand on my shoulder. "Man, I wouldn't have thought of that."

"Thanks Jaune."

"Well, come on, lets take a look around." Ruby takes the lead, "I wanna see their weapons!" She says before squealing in joy. 

*   *   *

We hung out in some classes, taking notes as well. I try and listen in their lessons, imagining how I can act on those skills. Once the class ended, we left to see Ironwood. We didn't care if Ironwood wasn't there, we needed to find him quick, perhaps clues or something.

Ruby and I were asked by Jaune to watch out for other students and huntsmen. While they all searched Ironwood's office, we stood guard.

"Ruby?" I ask after minutes of silence.

"Yes Oscar?"

"So... I'm guessing you're okay being together?"

"Yeah, it's fine. I mean it... I just don't like hiding secrets from my friends, they'll always find a way to get me to confess... and I have..."

"Hm? You never confessed your feelings about me to them, not that I heard."

"Yeah, but we did... we just didn't say it out loud to them." She takes my hand and she smiles at me. "Besides, I'm here with you, that's all that matters."

A part of me wanted to lean forward and give her a quick kiss, but Ozpin held me back. 'Oscar, you have a job right now.'

"Ozpin, please, leave me alone."

"Eh?" Ruby's eyes widen. "Ozpin?"

"S-sorry... I said it out loud... sorry about that... I mean it..."

"It's fine, I was surprised to hear you say his name."

"Ruby... I just want to say... that I really do like you... no, I love you." I lean forward, ignoring everything that Ozpin said to me and kiss her on her lips. I wanted to pull her closer, but I didn't. 

"Oscar... I love you too..."

"Ms. Rose?" We both turn to see a man with a bandage on his forehead. 

'That's who we're looking for, Oscar. James Ironwood.'