My anger was now changed to the every last stage of frustration, an ugly feeling settled in my stomach, twisting it into intangible knots and the horror of the situation dawned on me.

''You mean I wasted my last savings for nothing?'' My voice -  which had been loud enough to drive out all the birds, was now as low and bleak as it could be, it was beginning to crack.

He shook his head, ''I am afraid so, but I did warn you about this.'' He did, and no one was blaming him anyways. I had been so sure I would win this and get my old life back in matter of months. But once what I lost - I didn't think it had any intention to come back to me. I realized I should've been more cautious in this matter, I knew being stubborn won't work but my hope had been greater than the negatives of the situation.

''Iris, I suggest you to leave this matter-''

''-but-'' I interrupted, the idea of leaving everything that was supposed to be mine was ridiculous, more ridiculous than my behavior, but Mr. Hans continued explaining in his voice reflecting how little my problems mattered to him.

''- your uncle is man of authority here; you have no evidence to prove that he tampered your parents will. And I advice you not to waste your time and money any further,'' he waited for me to protest and went on, ''and don't forget you still have to take care of brother...'' That did it. He didn't need to remind me of my responsibilities and by the hint of his voice; he implied that I had been careless. I wished I could just strangle this man.

Drew...His name was enough to brake my gears that were still planning something in my mind, implanting another reckless idea that would help but his name suddenly struck me like lightning on a rainy day. It was true I wanted everything back, my home, the business, everything; but at the same time Drew was more important than this case.

''Do you understand?'' Mr. Hans asked in a professional voice, I could tell he meant to sound sympathetic but he failed miserably. He sighed for a millionth time and drew all the scattered papers in his file, shaking his head as he spoke,

''I have done anything I could Iris for your fathers sake. He was such a good man but now it is time to accept things the way they are.'' That was his way of implying that I was being childish and my childishness had wasted his precious time. I wanted to remind him I was nineteen but that wasn't a good time to defend my honor.

''Okay, alright, I give up.'' The words were too painful to say but I croaked them out refusing to look at him in the eye. I heard him sigh again and felt a mixture of annoyance and anxiety welling up inside me. Being formal and respectful was sometimes too hard. I wished I could just start shouting at everyone there in my top voice and destroy my vocal chords in process.

Mr. Hans collected his stuff and got up, ''I will be leaving then Iris, I will help in any way I can. You and Drew are like family; your father was after all my colleague. You are always invited over my house, Gracie would be please to have you over ...'' I didn't know how long he kept speaking; he was probably trying to make it up. Or worse, feeling sorry for us, bad effort on his part, I thought grimly.

I sat like that for another hour, mind twirling around the same point. The case, my parents, the will, Uncle Steve, Drew...Oh God, what was I gonna tell him? I lost our money because I had hoped we would win? Drew would never lash out at me, he was too kind for that but deep down he was bound to be disappointed. I played with my coffee a little bit longer; it was too cold to be drunk now. I dropped my head in my hands, drowning the sense of helplessness and groaned. Before dumping away my cup I found myself staring out at the window at the people that passed by; laughing and jumping around in excitement of Easter, completely oblivious as my heart was being torn into millions of unrecognizable pieces.