Chapter Two

Hoseok sat at his desk, surrounded by textbooks and papers. He had already finished his physics and geography homework assignments, but now he was onto his favorite subject: math.

He couldn't help but smile as his pencil solved the equations without him even having to think much. He could do this all in his sleep. (A/N: God I wish).

Hoseok had just gotten to the last problem when his phone buzzed. His smile grew even bigger. He didn't have people text him very often, so when he did get a text, he would drop everything he was doing and respond immediately.

Jimin: Hey Hoseok!

Jimin: I just ran into someone from school who needs some help with math in order to pass the exam next week. Anyway, I told them I would see if you were interested in helping them out.

Jimin: You in or out?

                        Hoseok: Who is it?

Jimin: You probably don't know them. Can I tell him that you're willing to help?

                          Hoseok: I guess, but if I get murdered or something by this stranger, I'm going to haunt you from my grave.

Jimin: Haha, okay Hoseok. I'll text you the time and stuff, yeah?

Hoseok couldn't contain his excitement. People don't normally come to him for help, especially people who didn't know he existed, which is the case with most people in the school. Hoseok preferred to keep his head down and focus on his studies. He wanted to get a scholarship to go to a great college.

It was just his mom and him and they were often tight for money. He wanted to make his mom, and himself, proud.

Hoseok finished the last math problem before taking a deep breath. "Well, that was easy," he chuckled. He stood up and stretched. He didn't realize how long he had been sitting hunched over his desk. While he stretched, he saw a picture frame on the shelf next to his desk. He picked it up and softly touched the glass with his finger. The photo was slightly discolored and wrinkled, partially from Hoseok's tears and tight grip at the last photo taken of his father.

Hoseok was picked up by his armpits, swung around in the air, the biggest smile plastered on his face. Him and his father were both laughing, having the time of their lives. Hoseok was set down on the ground, only to be lifted back up, being released from his father's grip temporarily before landing back in his arms.

Hoseok wiped a tear away from his cheek. His father had been gone for about three years now, and he still felt the pain like it was yesterday. The photo in his hands was a picture of him and his dad. Hoseok had just won his first dance battle, and his father had tears of pride in his eyes. Their smiles were bright.

Hoseok set the frame back on the shelf before heading into his bathroom and looking at himself in the mirror. Every day he would look at himself, and smile. He would get discouraged every time though when he realized his smile was never as bright or as big as the smile in that picture, taken the day before the accident that claimed his father's life. Hoseok was still searching for the thing that could bring back his smile, the feature he used to love the most about himself.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

A/N: I was listening to hella depressing music while writing this so that might explain why it seems so sad. I dunno. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Anyway, this is kind of the look I'm going for with Hoseok in this story

Anyway, this is kind of the look I'm going for with Hoseok in this story. Also, Hoseok with glasses is a whole concept. DAMN.