20~Three Missed Calls

Everest's POV

"May I help you?" The elderly woman behind the front desk asks me, her fingers hovering over the keyboard awaiting for me to answer.

"Um, yes," I stutter, trying to collect my thoughts together that were swirling all around my head. "What room is patient, Mike Milestone, currently staying in?"

Her wrinkled fingers quickly began to type away on the dust-filled keyboard, her grey eyes glued to the screen in concentration.

"Room 315, please sign your name and date on the visitors list." She hands me a clipboard filled with countless names and dates, which I shakily take. I sign my name and write down the date, nervous as hell. I hand it back to her and thank her, taking the elevator up to level three.

Why am I doing this? I don't even know why I'm here.

I exit the elevator and turn down several halls, the smell of medicine and old people consume my nostrils. I finally stop in front of Mile Milestone's room, my hands trembling like crazy and heart beating from anxiety. I let out a long sigh, knowing I'll have to knock sooner or later, which I preferred later. After another minute of staring blankly at the wooden door, I knock lightly with the back of my knuckles and hear a woman's voice calling me in.

I clutch the cold, metal doorknob in my hand and twist it all the way to the right until the door cracks open. I walk in the chilly room and shut the door behind me, taking in my surroundings. The only source of light comes from two floor lamps and the only thing I can hear is the sound of an NBA game playing on the small television mounted against the white wall. I turn the small wall that meets half way in the middle of the room, and my shaky hands form into fists.

As soon as I do I suck in a sharp breath, completely bewildered.

"M-Mom?" I choke out in shock, standing inches away behind a tall woman with silky brown hair and wearing nice clothes. The woman turns around and and cracks a wide grin, her bright white teeth flashes, and her aqua blue eyes like mine crinkle from her smile.

I am now officially confused.

"Everest!" She cheerfully says, pulling me into a tight hug. I don't respond to her touch. "I've missed you so much, I'm so glad you could make it. We were worried sick about you, dear." Her grin faded and her now saddened eyes fall to the hospital bed behind me, and mine soon do the same.

My eyebrows furrow in confusion.

It's empty.

"Mom, no one's there," I mumble, confused, turning back around to face my mom.

Suddenly, I see movement in the corner of my eye. A shadow in the right corner of the room soon transforms into a dark figure slowly stepping out of the darkened corner and approaches me in slow-motion.

"Hello, princess," the man greets me. His voice is scratchy and low, and I can't quite make out is face due to the horrible lighting. "We've missed you."

"Dad?"

I let out a sharp gasp and snap my eyes open, jolting my body up slightly.

"Everest."

I turn my gaze towards Harry, whom I forgot I asked to stay with me until I fell asleep, and begin to breathe heavily. I straighten my posture, sitting up and rubbing my tired eyes, sweat beading up and down my face.

I look back at Harry with wide eyes, and the first thing I notice is that he isn't wearing a shirt anymore. I could've sworn he was wearing a shirt when I asked him to stay with me. I'm not going crazy, which I am sure Harry is thinking.