Can't I Be Who I Am?

"Princess Jessica, turn please." The servant girl said, and Jessica turned, sighing.

She'd always hated dresses. They never felt right and were always too tight. And not to mention she didn't even feel right. The only one who called him Jeremy, who called him he, was Christine.

The girl was finally done with the dress and Jeremy left the room to be met by his mother.

"Jessica, darling, you look stunning! All of the princes will love you." She said, and he just sighed.

He walked out, still extremely uncomfortable in the dress, but at least his mom had let him cut his hair short.

"Welcome, Princess Jessica!" The announcer stated, making Jeremy flinch.

He got a lot of applause and soon began to walk around the room, looking for someone to talk to. He knew Christine probably wouldn't be out here yet, as she was one of the servants and none of the food was being served.

He walked over and sat down, not really paying attention to who he sat next to.

"Are you Princess Jessica?" He turned to see a younger prince with dark features and dorky, yet charming glasses.

"I- um- it's J-Jeremy..." he said, smoothing out the uncomfortable dress.

"Oh, I'm so sorry your Highness!" The guy said, starting to panic.

"No, no, it's fine. At least you respect it.." Jeremy said, sighing.

He glanced around and saw Christine waving for him by the entrance.

"I-I'll be right back!" Jeremy said, hurrying over to Christine.

They walked over to a dressing room and Christine took out the suit she brought.

"I also found this! It used to be my brothers." She said, taking out a worn-looking binder.

"Thank you, Chrissy!" He said, taking it and walking behind the curtain to put it on.

"It's not a problem, Jeremy!" She said, and Jeremy smiled at the use of his name. His real name.

He put on the binder and the suit, feeling 10 times more comfortable than he did before. He hugged Christine.

"Thank you for all of this, Christine." He said, smiling.

"It's not a problem. My brother understands exactly what you're going through if you ever want to talk to him, ok?" She said, and Jeremy nodded, waving as she left the room.

Jeremy walked back over to the table he was at prior and sat down, noticing the Prince was still sitting there.

He looked over and his eyes widened.

"Prince Jeremy, you look amazing." He said, blushing a little.

"Thank you, but you can just call me Jeremy. But I never caught your name..?" Jeremy said.

"Oh, it's Micheal- I'm Micheal." He stammered, making the younger boy smile.

They sat there and talked, and for once Jeremy felt like he could be who he was.