She ambled to her pile of shoes by the door as Jamie wrapped my hand.

"Can someone come get them?" I asked.

His eyes shot to mine. "I don't know, baby. Right now we need to get you to the hospital."

"Hospital?" Dulcie said. "Mama having a baby?"

"No, I just need to see the doctor." I winced in pain.

"Let's go," Jamie said.

I followed him to the living room where I slid into my sandals. He grabbed the diaper bag and EJ in a hurry as he checked to make sure we had everything. We scurried out to the garage.

"Get in the car," he told Dulcie.

"Can Mama help?" she asked.

"No," he said sternly, "you can get yourself in."

"Daddy," she whined.

"Get in the car. No arguing."

I took a deep breath, praying she didn't blow, because I was liable to lose my cool if she did. My hand was throbbing and I could feel the towel soaking up more blood.

Jamie opened my door for me and helped me in. "Breathe. Apply pressure."

I nodded, practicing my labor exercises as I held the towel tight in my palm.

He got EJ into his seat as Dulcie buckled herself into hers. My husband hopped in beside me, a nervous wreck.

"Mama do we have juice?"

"Dulcie," Jamie turned to look at her, "you need to be quiet please. Daddy will get you juice in a few minutes if you please behave."

I heard her huff, but she didn't talk back which was a feat all its own. Jamie hit the gas and drove as fast as he could to the hospital.

On the way he called his sister Liesa, since she was the closest to our location.

"I have a situation," he said when she picked up.

"I need you to please, please, please come get the kids."

"I'm taking Kels to the ER."

I looked over at him as he honked the horn at a slow driver.

"Bloody move mate, Christ, learn how to drive!"

I tried to find humor in his road rage instead of focusing on my cut hand. Dulcie giggled behind me.

"Sorry, yeah, the local one. Thanks so much, you're a lifesaver."

He hung up and looked me over briefly, wondering if I was still conscious I'm sure. "Liesa will meet us there."

"Aunt Liesa is coming?" Dulcie clapped and I heard EJ cooing almost as if he understood and was excited.

"Yes," Jamie said. "Promise you'll be good for her and help her with your brother?"

"Okay, Daddy, I promise."

"Thank you, baby girl."

"Will she get us ice cream?"

Jamie caressed my arm and it was helping to keep me calm. His touch always grounded me.

"I'm sure if you ask her real nicely with a cherry on top."

Dulcie laughed. "Can EJ have some?"

"No, princess," I said. "He can't have sugar yet."

She sighed. "Fine."