Chapter 14

A/N: I just got back from NYC last weekend, so this was a fun chapter to write ;) I wanted to wish everyone a wonderful weekend, and if you celebrate, a very Happy Easter! Sending my love and gratitude for your support and friendship! Enjoy, xo

***

I wasn't feeling the greatest as I headed to set to meet with Evan. I don't think my son approved of the bumpy flight, he'd made me nauseous and headachy since landing. However, I had to suck it up. I'd fought my way through this journey, and wasn't going to let some minor illness get in my way. I had a point to prove to Evan, to Jamie, and to myself. I could do this.

The black car Jamie ordered for me slowed to a halt as the driver dropped me off at the entrance to the set. Or rather in front of a bunch of tents set up on the sidewalk in the middle of the Lower East Side. A woman with a clipboard came flying at me.

"Ma'am, this is a closed set!" She pointed to a sign on the post beside me that instructed all pedestrian traffic to use the sidewalk on the opposite side.

"I'm here to meet with Evan Shaw," I said.

"Oh," she looked at her clipboard, "shit, I'm sorry. You must be Kelsey."

"Yes, that's me."

"I feel awful. I'm Leah, Evan's PA." She outstretched her hand, which I shook firmly.

"It's fine. New Yorkers have a tendency to ignore signs. Don't blame you for policing the area."

She chuckled. "Evan's upstairs in make-up if you want to meet with him?"

"Sure." I shrugged and watched her dig through her satchel for something.

She handed me a key card. "They're working out of the presidential suite on the 21st floor. This'll get you in."

"I can just knock."

"Nonsense. He's expecting you."

I tried to brace myself as I smiled and took the plastic from her. It was weird having a famous stranger and his staff anticipating my arrival. I didn't want to give him or myself more importance than necessary. It was all work, no play. I just needed to watch him do his thing, take some notes, and bid him farewell. The quicker I went home to my husband, the better for everyone.

I rode the elevator with a few other people who were chatting about how long they sat in the make-up chair getting their faces done. One girl had a fake wound on her neck that was dry, and she was on the phone telling whoever she'd been sent back for more fake blood.

The door dinged as we arrived and everyone scattered down the hall toward the big double doors. I followed suit and walked into a hotel room that had been turned into a studio. Artists stood behind various chairs dabbing on eye shadow, sweeping blush across cheeks, and squirting red liquid onto fake cuts.

"Kelsey?" I heard a man ask.

I turned to see Evan sitting in one of the stools, his reflection in the mirror meeting my gaze. I headed over, giving him a small wave.

"Hi, Evan."

The man blending the foundation into his neck stepped away as I stepped up. Evan spun around, offering his hand.

"Lovely to finally meet you."

I squeezed it quickly. "Likewise."

"I'm almost done," he said. "Have a seat."

I looked around to see where he meant when the man from a moment ago returned with a folded chair. I thanked him before sitting. He went back to his task of tending to Evan's face.