Chapter Forty-One.

Start from the beginning

I stayed silent as we climbed in the car and started the journey back to Huntington. There was a fear there that was making me scared to open my mouth, but I was also pissed off beyond belief. He was actually trying to make out that someone else had hit me. It was pathetic.

He kept giving me glances out of the corner of his eye which I refused to return. When I laid my head back and he realised I had no intention of talking to him, he sighed and reached forward to turn on the radio.

It was just a muffle in the background compared to my thoughts. Despite how tired I was from having hardly any sleep, there was no way I’d be able to take a quick nap now. I silently watched our surroundings pass me outside of the window, hoping I’d get home soon. It seemed crazy, seeing as I knew I was going to get yelled at as soon as I stepped through the door. But I’d much rather being at home safe and being yelled at, than being in a car with a guy who tried to rape me and hit me twice when he didn’t succeed.

It was only a thirty minute journey, but it seemed so much longer. Relief washed through me when I snapped out of my thoughts to focus on where we were and everything looked so familiar. Driving past the beach meant we were only five or so minutes away from my house, and the minute Ronnie pulled into my street, I breathed out in complete relief that I’d managed to get home without anything happening to me. I desperately wanted to see my dad.

I didn’t say a goodbye to Ronnie as I stepped out of the car. Whether he was expecting a thank you or something, I didn’t know. But he sure as hell wasn’t getting one.

Without sparing him another glance, I slammed the car door and began walking up the driveway, glancing through the living room window to see my dad staring out. As soon as his eyes landed on me, he moved away from the window, and only a moment later, the front door was ripped open.

At first, he just stood in the doorway, staring down at me. He looked absolutely terrible—exhausted, like he’d not slept at all. After a moment, he breathed out and reached forward, pulling me into him and holding me tightly against him. I immediately wrapped my arms around him, hugging him just as tightly. Tears were beginning to appear in my eyes, and he suddenly ripped away from me, his relieved expression turning to one of pure anger.

“What the fuck were you thinking, Jasmine?” He yelled furiously. “What possessed you to do that, huh? To run off for the night without telling me?”

“Dad, please don’t start.” I answered back, my voice cracking. “Please.”

Ignoring me, he stepped to the side, holding the door wide open. “Get inside now.”

I did as I was told and stepped into the house, dragging my feet past him and into the living room. He slammed the door shut, then following after me and beginning to pace the floor.

All I could do was stare down at my feet. I knew there was no point saying anything. I had no excuse for what I’d done. It was stupid and I definitely knew that now. But now was too late.

I jumped slightly when he slammed his fist down on the coffee table, turning to face me.

“Do you even realise how worried sick I have been?!” He shouted. “I have been awake all night trying to get hold of you...and nothing? Where did you even go?”

“Dad—‘’

Where did you go, Jasmine?” He interrupted me.

I sighed. “Long Beach.”

He stared at me for a long moment, confusion written all over his face. I wasn’t sure how I was going to explain this to him, but however I did, I knew I was in deep shit.