thirtynine

Two weeks later...

Our house was broken after what my father did. After Christian and I showed up at home that night, Mom explained everything to me privately. Nicholas, my biological father, stole money, valuables, and irreplaceable things from my mother and myself. It was devastating, to say the least. I lost a couple of valuable things I treasured, some that Mom and Christian got for me. As for Mom, she lost a horde of jewelry she inherited from Grandma. She's still devastated.

The money is already reclaimed by our insurance, and we even got reimbursed for the price of what we lost. Needless to say, we are pretty loaded right now on money from what Grandma's antique jewelry was worth. Mom and I took a trip to the west coast, just the two of us, to get everything off our minds.

The police insisted on tracking down and catching my father, but Mom told them not to worry about his sorry ass, that he can be miserable for the rest of his life going into debt over gambling and drinking, and God knows what else. I am not pleased with Mother's decision, but she made up her mind. I told the police on my own his name, last known residence, etcetera. He's sill a criminal at large, after all. I told them not to involve us in a court hearing if they catch him; it'd be too painful for us.

It's becoming easier to move on. That man coming into my life for a day, and feeding me– and the two people I love the most– lies, ruined my entire outlook on trust. Mom apologized until her jaw hurt, but I told her she has nothing to be sorry for. He manipulated her, made her feel loved again, then took everything from her once again. She told me, "As long as he doesn't take you, I will always make it through." That made me cry my eyes out, no explanation required.

I stayed with her at home for the last two weeks. I only saw my boyfriend during school hours and once when we had date night. Mom finally put her foot down and threw me out of the house, making me return to my own home. I reluctantly agreed to do so, surprising Christian in the process.

Lying on the couch in our living room, I listen to people on Food Network talk about how to make their own wine. Christian works in the kitchen to make dinner for everyone coming over: Quentin, Hector, Jessie, Austin, Kelsey, and Rosie. It'll be a full house tonight. Thankfully we have the guest rooms to hold all of the teenagers. I am still debating on whether I need to tell them not to have sex or whether they got the memo that that's gross and weird to just do here.

Christian is making my favorite: Japanese-style chicken fried rice. It's also Quentin's favorite. He gave Christian the cookbook his Grandmother has published and that's what Christian is going by. He is also making many additional side dishes, so I am going to be so full I will have to roll through the apartment.

Speak of the handsome devil.

"Hey babe," Christian says absentmindedly, walking into the living room. He sits on the couch, but too far away. I wiggle my body up until my head is in his lap and my hair in his finger. "I'm glad you're home."

"Me, too," I say and accept his sweet kiss. We watch television until the intercom buzzed. After shouting to let the party up the private elevator, I greet everyone at the front door. They take off their coats and enter the large room.

"Hey everyone," I say almost in a whisper. They all give me sullen looks before bombarding me in a group hug. I sigh in relief. I thought this was going to be awkward and hushed, but they're here to support and encourage me. I love my friends. "Thanks guys," I actually whisper this time.

"Welcome back," Christian says. He stands at the dining hall entryway, his apron clinging to him sexily. How, I'm not sure.

"Back? I'm sure most of you haven't been here."