thirtyfive

"Where are we going?" I ask Christian again.

"Stop asking, you'll ruin the surprise!" he scolds me.

"I know, I know! I just feel so in the dark." I fumble my arms around and accidentally hit someone in the chest. "Sorry!"

"Stay still, dummy," Christian says with a laugh. The other person laughs as well, thankfully. I trip myself up a few times, and I'm beginning to worry about my health at this point.

"Are we almost there? I'm gonna face plant the sidewalk," I say with a nervous chuckle. Christian finally stops me and puts his hands on my shoulders. I could tell the change in atmosphere when we had finally entered a building, but I couldn't tell where we were at all. I wanted to be surprised as much as he wanted to surprise me. I caught the sound of some sort of instrument behind me in the distance, so we could seriously be anywhere at this point.

"Okay, open you eyes!" he says cheerily. I open my eyes, taking a moment to adjust to the sudden burst of vibrant lighting and the world in general. As I take in my surroundings, I realize where we are.

"Is this a music store?" I ask Christian who is beaming with his beautiful smile.

"Yes! One of the most reputable in the area. I also have something for you! It's made especially for my boyfriend. That's you," he whispers the last part, and I give him a smile of confusion. I really don't know what he could've gotten me from a music store, I never expressed the desire for something, at least not that I know of.

"Jay?" a man speaks as he exits from a stock room. He is holding a wooden box that looks handmade. Christian walks up to him and undoes the latches on them, lifting the lid. I peek into the big wooden case and examine the beautiful instrument inside. It's a tenor ukulele, with the front intricately painted to resemble a field of flowers on a bright blue-skies day. There's a dark blue pick also inside, with J+C inscribed onto it in gold lettering. I lift the ukulele out of the velvety black plush insulation and examine it closely. On the back of the neck had a wood engraving on it.

A memento of our first date...
–Christian

"Wow, you remembered me saying that? And the field of flowers... from my dream of you? Christian this- this is the most thoughtful thing I think I've ever gotten before. I don't know what to say..."

"You don't have to say anything, Jay. Your love for me has been the best thing that's ever happened to me. I want to show you my gratitude for helping me get back to my regular self again. Through our relationship, I've been able to not only reconnect with you, but also reconnect to who I once was years and years ago. You saved my family and made me believe that love knows no bounds." Both of our eyes are welling with tears, which I was not prepared for today.

"Christian," I say and bury my face into his neck and wrap my arms around his waist. "I'm honored that I mean so much to you. I feel no different. Ever since meeting you again all these years later, I realized who I was. You're my best friend, and who would have thought the cliché of best friends falling in love could be true?" Christian kisses my jaw.

"I'd say being ex-step-brothers and then having psychic dreams about each other is far from cliché, but I get what you're saying."

"What?" the employee questions Christian at his odd sounding statement.

"Nothing. You wouldn't understand," I say and take the luxurious case from the man, flashing him a smile. We walk out of the store with our purchase and stroll back to the car through the shopping center. Christian spots a few different stores that he just had to stop at and shop around. Of course, he tried buying me outfits. I turned him down because he has done enough for me today. He gives me a personal fashion show with every clothing item, driving me crazy with sensual dance moves. I await patiently for him to come out of the dressing room for the next look.