thirtythree

"W–" is all I can choke out.

"W-what? H-h-how– why– what?" Christian stutters about as well and Ethan and Tobias chuckle. Mom is smiling but she looks reluctant somehow.

"You are going to have your own place to finish out high school. Isn't that awesome?!" Ethan says enthusiastically. Christian gets giddy and excited, but I'm worried about Mom. She looks sort of irritated.

"This is amazing! Thank you, Tobias!" Christian hugs him, and so do I. We all end up in a group hug, even Mom. Christian takes my hands and jumps with me giddily, causing me to laugh. I have no idea what's happening, it's so much to process. Regardless, I'm happy beyond belief. I can't believe Mom would allow this. Then it hits me.

"Wait, Mom? Are you okay with this?" I ask her. Her smile softens even more, almost into a frown.

"You're growing up. You're both in love and you are both adults, with sturdy financial parents. It's realistic. Also, it could teach you guys to live on your own before college. After long consideration, I'm allowing it. But you are still required to hang around often! This isn't your way to get out of family time!" She giggles and hugs me again, and I hug her back tightly.

"Thank you. For everything. You're the best," I whisper. She kisses my cheek, filling me with warmth and love. I return to Christian and he hugs my waist against him.

"So," Ethan starts, "should we go over there now and check it out?" Christian and I both nod furiously and we all follow Ethan out of the door.

• • •

"Here we are, my bachelor pad!" Tobias announces as we walk in the door. It's a large apartment of 9,000 square feet. The main room is a large loft space, leading into three bedrooms which contain a bathroom each, one extra common bathroom, kitchen, library, and balcony. It's got everything and more, and I feel so overwhelmed. I've never felt more pampered and ungrateful in my life, even though I'm so grateful that I'm speechless. Christian takes my hand and pulls me behind him into the master bedroom. Everything has been cleaned, linens have been washed, and it was like an entirely new flat.

"Oh my God, it's my couch, Jay!" Christian points out excitedly. It's the couch he shipped home from New York, which makes me laugh. I sit down on it and Christian flops onto the bed, taking in the comfort of the sweet soft mattress.

"Hey, the picture from the museum is over there on the wall. I never even noticed it wasn't at home, I guess." Ethan grins satisfactorily and puts his hands on his hips.

"We brought a whole bunch of junk over here already, so the moving process would be easier for you." I thank him and follow Christian into the library next. All of Christian's books from his bedroom fit in here, with space to spare. There's a little reading nook as well, one that I know we'll both become well acquainted. The kitchen is decked out with everything we could ever need, but we will still require groceries. I guess that's one thing I won't look forward to: shopping like adults. Hey, it's not our money.

"I hope everything's to your liking, Christian," Tobias says genially and Christian scoffs. "I know your home is much more accommodating than this."

"Are you kidding?" Christian gapes. "I've never pinned myself as someone who required a lavish lifestyle. So this is perfect! I'd never be disappointed at all, I mean, I lived at Jay's for like two days at one point." I grumble and he grins nervously. "My point is that this place is great and you letting us stay here alone is a dream." Tobias blushes and Ethan hugs him from the side.

"Well, you're very welcome. It's the least I can do, considering all that Ethan has done. He'll be letting me stay at his home, so it's only fitting I return the favor somehow. It's paid in full, no rent required. I hope you enjoy it here. It was lonely for me personally, but you two will find it perfectly charming, I imagine."