four

Me: are you okay?

Seventeen minutes, no reply.

Me: I'm sorry. I'm an idiot.

Fifteen minutes and still nothing. Not even read.

Me: please don't hate me

Christian: I don't hate you

My eyes glisten at his response. I'm glad he doesn't hate me, but I know he's upset. I shouldn't have done that to him, I knew he wasn't ready to be public. Fucking hell, I'm an idiot. He just drives me crazy and we've only known each other for two days.

Me: please forgive me I know that was a mistake. I'll never do it again

Christian: you'll never kiss me again?

My heart stopped.

Me: maybe but not in front of a homophobic protest group

Christian: okay

Me: see you tomorrow?

Christian: no, come see me now

Me: okay where should we meet

Christian: come to my garden

Me: okay

Christian: You'll have to find me

I crank up my car and set off on my journey there.

• • •

I graze my fingers against the tall fencing and feel the leaves and flowers. I can't imagine the money it costs to have gardeners upkeep this thing. It surrounds the home like castle walls. The home itself is stone, and it looks very old and beautiful. I find myself reaching many dead ends with benches, none of which have Christian sitting on them. He had told me I have to find him, which frustrates me because I have no idea how to get back the way we did yesterday.

At long last, I turn the corner to the clearing, and it becomes familiar to me again. I see Christian sitting on the bench, but I decide not to shout to him. I walk slowly and the leaves crunch beneath me, the fall breeze chilling me. I am already freaking out, I don't know what he's going to say to me. I stand nearly toe to toe with him now, him still sitting.

"Hey, I'm here," I say and shuffle my feet nervously.

"Hi," he says and stands up to meet me. I take a step back so we don't butt heads. I trip on a root and he grabs my hand and catches me before I fall.

"I've been here one minute and I'm already making it weird," I say with a nervous laugh. Christian still has my hand, and he pulls on it to bring me closer to him.

"Do you want to know how I wanted our first kiss to go?" he asks and my heart sinks. I didn't even think about that being our first kiss.

"What are you saying?"

"Do you want to know?" he asks again. I search his eyes for a meaning, but I just nod because I do want to know.

He puts his hands right below my neck. I wrap my hands around his waist, not able to control myself. We stare into each other's eyes, and then he begins to bring his lips to mine. I close my eyes. I can imagine his warm lips touching, pulling, his teeth nibbling. Our hot tongues dancing, his mouth tasting faintly of vanilla. But he lets go of my neck and pulls away from me slightly.