Chapter 21

Chapter 21

Thursdays were probably Tony's new least favorite day.

Breakfast was very awkward. Maria tried to make pleasant conversation, but neither Tony or Howard indulged her. Thankfully, Howard had to leave early because of work, so Tony was able to enjoy half of his waffles and bacon.

Maria, however, was disappointed the whole morning. Simply because of the behavior of her husband and son.

She knew that Howard wasn't truly sorry. His attitude was probably 12% sorry, 88% couldn't-care-less-it's-all-someone-else's-fault. She also knew that Tony wasn't going to apologize for running away, because he wasn't sorry either.

They needed to patch things up, but she couldn't talk to either of them. When she talked to Howard, he changed the subject to Thanksgiving, work, or the weather. Tony just gave halfhearted replies and refused to cooperate with her efforts.

She was trying to help, she really was, but her words seemed to fall on deaf ears.

Tony put his plate in the sink and left for school right after, giving Maria no time to say anything besides a quick "Good-bye, love you, have a nice day at school!"

She had to figure some way to patch things up between them.

Maybe she could enlist Steve's help...

-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/

Tony was so sick of his father's behavior, so he was immensely glad when he escaped the most awkward breakfast of October and arrived at school. Tony was greeted by a quick kiss on the cheek from his boyfriend, plus poorly disguised disgusted looks, but he didn't care about them.

As he and Steve were walking towards the doors, they heard quick footsteps behind them. Tony got a quick glance and groaned.

"It's that nerd from the diner." He mumbled to Steve.

"Hey Phil." Steve greeted in his typical polite and good-natured voice.

Phil was usually a very collected if not extremely mature fourteen year old, (That's what happens when you live with parents like his.) but he acted like a silly little fanboy around Steve.

"You remembered me?" Phil looked at him, surprised.

"Of course." Steve responded.

"Hi Steve. Hey, do you guys think I can hang out with you at lunch? I don't really have any other friends. I usually sit with Miss Hill, but I think she's called in sick today." Phil asked, attempting to be super casual.

"You sit with Miss Hill? A teacher?" Tony looked amused.

"Yeah, I don't think my friends will mind if you sit with us. Neither will Tony. Will you, Tony?" Steve looked at said teenager and gave him a look.

"Sure!" Tony said with an overenthusiastic smile.

"Great. I better get to class. See you guys later." Phil turned and left.

"Steve!" Tony whined. "I don't want the nerdy fanboy to sit with us."

"Tony, he doesn't have any friends. He sits with a teacher. The least we can do is let him sit with us." Steve said.

"Fine, but I don't like him." Tony grumbled as they entered the building and went to their lockers.

"I'm not even going to ask why." Steve replied, pulling his textbooks out of his locker.

"We better go." Tony closed his locker. He didn't want to talk about Coulson and the crush he had on his Steve.

His? Pfft, Steve wasn't anyone's. Tony buried that thought as soon as it popped up. They were just together. Dating. It's not like they were in love or anything. Nope. Tony said that all because of stress, nothing else.