Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

Tony quickly shut his phone after his last text to Bruce and went back to what he was supposed to be doing. ALENRTS. What the heck was he supposed to do with that to make him beat Steve? Nothing. Or...

"Antlers." Tony had a smug grin on his face as he placed his letters. "The 's' adds to your 'o'," He nodded to his mother. "To make the word 'fools'. Plus the triple word score on the 's' and using all my letters is..." He did some quick math. "Ninty-six points. Take that, Steve, I'm beating you by thirty points."

"Yeah, whatever." Steve looked at his letters quickly and then took four of them out.

"Size. 'Z' put on the triple letter score makes a total of thirty-three points." He smiled. "A hundred and forty-five points. Give up now while you still have some of your pride intact." Steve joked.

"Not in a million years."

"Tony dear, it's getting late, perhaps you should walk Steve home. You both beat me and Howard by quite a bit, and that's our third game." Maria said rather tiredly.

"Mom, really? We're tied right now and I'm not letting Steve win without a fight." Tony stared intently at the Scrabble board, waiting for his father to move.

"Maria and I are finished, Tony. You and Steve can finish the game, but make sure he gets home before it's too late." Howard took his and Maria's letters and dumped them back into the letter bag before walking upstairs.

"Good night Steve, thank you for joining us." Maria said.

"Thanks for inviting me." Steve had just drawn new tiles and he was absorbed in sorting them. Tony was too. Maria just sighed and went upstairs.

"Now hurry up and lose." Steve grinned.

-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/

Three hours later, Maria decided to go downstairs and make sure Steve was home.

"Tony, are you still awake?" She asked as she walked downstairs.

"Yeah, Steve's gone." Tony said from the coffee table in their living room, where he was sitting and doing nothing.

"Alright. Now go to bed." Maria ordered.

"Okay." Tony sat quietly until his mother went back upstairs. "She's gone." Steve walked out of the kitchen.

"Why am I still here again?" He asked.

"Because I'll be bored without anyone to talk to." Tony stated.

"Right. My brain's pretty much fried, so no more Scrabble." Steve said.

"Why not? I'll easily beat you now." Tony shrugged.

"Exactly why I'm refusing to play. I'm enjoying my winning streak." Steve answered and sat next to Tony, settling nicely into the couch.

"I have an idea." Tony left to his basement and returned moments later with a big stack of paper.

"What's that for?" Steve raised an eyebrow.

"Start folding." Tony said with no more explanation, as he began folding numerous paper airplanes quickly.

"Uh, okay then." Steve started folding his own.

Fifteen minutes and sixty sheets of paper later, Steve and Tony both had armies of thirty one paper airplanes each.

"What exactly are we doing with these?" Steve asked, still looking rather amused.

"We're having a paper airplane war." Tony said with a serious look on his face.