Chapter Sixteen

Chapter 16

Tony, as per usual on Sunday nights, was working downstairs, today, he was working on JARVIS.

"JARVIS, I'm bored and tired. Please tell me that you can play me music whenever I ask." He muttered.

"Mr. Stark, would you like me to play some-"

"It's fine, nice to know you get it." Tony sat back in satisfaction before deciding to look at the security tapes from late last night. He didn't have a particular reason, other than boredom and the curiosity of how his mother reacted to the messy living room. (Tony and his dad weren't exactly neat freaks.)

He was surprised when he saw his father storming into the room looking furious. Maria was close behind him.

Tony turned up the volume so he could hear their voices clearly.

"I don't believe this, Maria! How can my son be so..." Howard stopped and faced his wife. "What happened to that lovely girlfriend of his?" He demanded.

"She broke up with him." Maria said, in a tired voice.

"I'm sorry dear, you need your rest. We can talk about this tomorrow." Howard's voice softened a bit but Maria stood, unmoving.

"No. We'll talk about it now. He's my son and I don't want him crushed to pieces because of your prejudice and pride!" She said, her voice rising.

"How is it my pride?"

"You've always been so determined to raise the perfect son. Exactly like you, and up until now, you thought you were succeeding. Now that you haven't, of course you're going to hate him!" Maria argued.

"I could never hate Tony! I hate that he's gay for Steve Rogers!" He spat out the last sentence, and Tony almost swore he heard hatred in his voice.

"Then you hate him! Those feelings are a part of him, hating them is hating him, and Howard, I am proud of our son. He is a unique child, he's talented, and he is his own person. No one's homophobic opinions will change that. Will you never see that? He tries his hardest to impress you, have you not seen the amazing inventions he's built simply from his imagination and genius mind. You never acknowledge any of it! You treat him like a failure, he is an amazing person, and I am truly happy with how he's growing up. I am proud of him for showing his feelings for Steve. I am disgusted by you, Howard. He is your son. Maybe you should think about that." Maria had angry tears forming in her eyes, and she left the room.

Howard stood there before sinking into the couch with his face in his hands.

Tony skipped ahead a few minutes and came across when he came into the house. He stopped the video and stood up with clenched fists. Howard had lied, right to his face. He told him he was fine with it, more or less. In reality, he was disgusted by it.

Tony simply locked up his section of the lab and went to his room.

Maybe it was stupid. Kissing Steve in front of all those people. Someone from school was sure to catch wind of it. Tony couldn't believe that he hadn't been ridiculed yet. Well, he hadn't seen anyone the whole day. His father was working and his mother had to go grocery shopping, and when she came back she was exhausted. Tomorrow was the big day. Yay.

-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/

When Steve walked into school the next morning, he was positive that he missed something. Almost everyone was making disgusted faces at him, one of the exceptions being those two weird girls, Mary Margaret and Becky.

His friends were being weird too. Clint and Thor were silent, for once, and Natasha had an emotionless expression on her face. She hardly said a word to anyone, except in class.